The Morning After the Night Before

Start from the beginning

“I’m starving,” he said. “I swear, butter and toast is the single best hangover cure.”

Beside him, Chris just whimpered.

Dan had never drunk in any quantity before, and consequently he felt fit as a fiddle – which is more than can be said for Phil, who was slowly but surely developing a pounding headache. His head had sunk onto the table and he was groaning quietly, his eyes screwed tightly shut against the bright morning sky. All around the Hall students and teachers alike were in similarly delicate states. Professor McGonagall was wincing every time Hagrid set down his heavy tankard of water, while the arithmancy teacher, Professor Vector, was snoring loudly into a bowl of porridge.

PJ seemed a little sleepy but otherwise cheery, and he was talking animatedly about the Ball, seemingly oblivious to Chris’s frozen figure at his side. He turned to Chris with a question.

“To be honest a lot of last night is blurry. It definitely happened though, Chris, do you remember when those pissed as newts sixth years tried to ride the Beauxbatons horses?”

“Huh?” Chris said stupidly, his eyes glazed.

PJ’s eyebrows creased. “Are you sure you’re okay? You look really ill.”

“I’m fine, seriously,” Chris blushed. “Just a bit out of it. Because, you know, I’m really tired.”

“I know how you feel,” PJ said with a yawn. “I don’t think we picked the comfiest sleeping spot. Any idea how we ended up in Phil’s dormitory? I guess we’re all from different houses which is a pain. Anyway – I was talking about when those three sixth year idiots tried to levitate themselves on top of the Beauxbatons horses. I reckon they’re still in the hospital wing, those bruises would have been nasty. They’re lucky they didn’t get trampled to death to be honest, one kick to the head and they would have been gonners.”

Chris nodded. “Yeah, I remember. PJ, can I ask you something?”

“Yeah?”

Chris took a deep breath and forced himself to look into those shimmering green eyes. “What happened, with us, last night? I’m feeling kinda tender at the moment and I’ve been trying really hard to remember but like thinking makes my head hurt.”

PJ laughed. “Nothing, don’t worry. We just danced a bit and messed around because like, we were drunk and having a laugh.”

“Ah, good. Just wanted to make sure I wasn’t pregnant.”

PJ’s chuckle was mellow and lifted a smile into everyone’s cheeks. “To be honest, I was kinda nervous about asking you to dance. I’d been watching you all night. You’re really funny, you know. I was just like ‘I wanna be friends with that kid’ but I wasn’t sure how you’d react to the whole dancing thing. I mean, I didn’t know if you were straight or not.”

“Oh,” Chris said, surprised. He was silent for a moment, digesting this information, his eyes slightly alarmed. “Oh,” He said again. “I didn’t know you weren’t. That’s why I asked really, I mean, I’m not. I’m like – I don’t really know really. Actually.”

PJ sniggered. Beside him, Dan and Phil exchanged an amused glance.

“I’m probably bisexual, but I’m not worrying too much.” PJ replied with a smile.

“Oh. That’s good. Does that mean we can have threesomes?” Chris seemed to be recovering his composure at the speed of a galloping hippogriff, colour spreading to his cheeks and a smile growing steadily on his lips.

“Yes please. Lots of threesomes. Foursomes too. In fact, let’s just organize an orgy.” PJ winked.

~