Chapter 27 (Part 1)

After we had gone back to the ice rink, a teenager, between his 14 and 15 years with a noticeable high flexibility in figure skating started teasing us. And my competitive companion, not a big thing in this skating, accepted the implicit challenge in the boy's words. And me being thrown down on the ground just by being on their way, I thought it was best if I just sat down on the benches and watch the show.

Turns out, the boy was trying to impress his little girlfriend who had a cast on her left leg, and just like me, was watching the boys from far. During his performance, he wouldn't stop sending hearts and making kissy faces at her, Aubrey used these moments to pop up on his face.

I wouldn't consider the boy's fall as an act of violence. I mean, what would hockey be if we thought like this.

Michelle and I had to calm his mother down, her baby was hurt. It was just a pulse twisting, for crying out loud. But the sermon was from me to Aubrey.

"He started it!"

"I don't care, Aubrey Graham! You're not a little kid anymore. You shouldn't even fall for his words, anyways..." I say in a conclusive tone. I was already tired from just sitting around. The last thing I needed was a discussion to drain my remaining energy.

"But he called you an old lady..."
I stop in my tracks and look around the parking lot for him.

"Wha-What? Where's that little brat? He's gonna get a piece of my mind!"

I could say I was a bit out of myself until I hear a stupid chuckle from Aubrey. I roll my eyes. His behaviour was annoying me so I start making my way to his bike hoping he'd take a hint.

"C'mon Nic, I didn't do anything. The kid fell on his own." He says jogging behind me.

I sigh a bit before speaking up again. "I know, I know... It's just that I promised Michelle I'd give you a sermon. I'm starting o think she doesn't trust you that much... Can we go now? I'm starving."

In no time, he helps me up on the bike and we were making our way back to the city. If they told me that the guy who left me alone and confused after a hot makeup session would be this happy, smiley and talkative guy, I wouldn't believe it. Surely, life can be surprising.

We stop in front of a store with something written in neon, but before I could read it, Aubrey was pulling me inside.

This place was packed, the atmosphere was filled with smoke and the smell of cigar and alcohol come from the people over the balcony.

And that was my second surprise of the day.

Aubrey brought me to a bikers bar. I should have suspected from the amount of motorcycles parked outside, but then again, it wouldn't be enough considering it's located in the middle of the city with a happy hour bar looking façade.

"Well, look who's here. It's Newspaper Boy!" Said a quite handsome bearded guy.

"What's up Johnny?" Aubrey makes his way over to the balcony greeting, I'm guessing, his buddies.

"Living life boy, living life." He looks over to me. "And who's this pretty lady?"

I take a few steps and stand under a luminary. I hold my hand in hopes he'd shake it but the guy just kept looking between me and Aubrey.

"Please tell me you didn't do that to her face."

My hand automatically fly over my right eye. I'd seen through the rear-view mirror on the bike, it doesn't look that bad.

"Oh no, it wasn't like that..." I try to smile it off.

"Girl, don't come with that 'I hit myself with the cabinet door'. A real man doesn't do shit like that."

"No, it was him, but it was an accident." I try to explain, but the guys that once were enjoying themselves with their cups and bottles of beer were now forming a circle around us.

"Is there a coward between us, Johnny? Do we need to take it outside?" A big guy with a deep voice said.

"I never thought you would do something like this, Newspaper Boy." Another guy gives Aubrey a light push.

"You guys, wait... It was just an innocent accident." It's like they were deaf or something, they were getting closer and closer to him. "He didn't do anything!"

When one of guys grabs Aubrey aggressively by the collar of his shirt, leaving them nose to nose, I rush and jump in between them.

"HE JUST FELL ON ME!" I yell over to them and their angered expression soon turn into relief ones.

"That's it? Why didn't you say so?" The guy releases Aubrey, and even pats his jacket clean. "I bet this guy here gives you a hard time, huh?"

He has no idea.

Johnny orders Aubrey a beer as everybody gets back to their previous seats with laughs and comments. Great, I go from a victim to trophy just like that. I go over to Aubrey who was now feeling himself.

"Why did you bring me here?" I ask a bit irritated.

"You said you were hungry."

"Yeah, for solid food..." I answer crossing my arms.

He grabs my hands and takes me to another section of the bar, hearing whistles directed to us on the way. I bet my face was red as a cherry, I could feel my cheeks heating up. A few more steps and we were in a different environment, a few tablets around and a stage in the background.

"I hope your stomach is ready, today's pizza day."

Before he pulls a chair out for me on a empty table, he slaps my butt. The cheers from the guys get louder. Perverts!

"I swear you're gonna pay for this." I warn him through gritted teeth.

"Do you accept debit?" He fires back with a five-star smile stamped on his face.