Chapter 1

"Blackness surrounded me once again as something familiar felt close by. A faint glow flickered in the distance as it moved towards me. A blue-gold fire trail raced along the rocky ground encircling me. The warmth from the flames felt relaxing at first like being wrapped in a warm blanket on a cold night,  but as the flames began to grow taller the heat became unbearable. Looking at my hands and arms, they were turning red and beginning to blister. Silent screams escaped my mouth as the increasing heat shot pain throughout my entire body.  My face and body were covered in sweat as I felt myself come close to fainting, when a welcome icy breeze ripped through the air cooling everything around me. The sweat on my skin crystalized, making small frozen scales over my entire body. The once hot flames transformed into bright blue columns of ice with a flame flickering inside. Looking over my body I noticed the crystal scales had fallen off and the blisters had vanished. The columns felt cold and warm to the touch as droplets of water fell from my fingertips. I moved from column to column gliding my fingers across each one when I noticed them. A pair of red eyes watching my every move. My heart slammed against my chest so hard out of fear as I moved slowly back against the wall of ice.  The eyes never looked away as they rose up over the tips of the flames fixating directly on me never blinking. A strong stench of dead, rotting flesh filled the air making it hard to take a breath and not taste the foul smell.

Placing my hand over my nose and mouth taking short breaths to get fresh air,  the eyes rose up and disappeared as a large black head appeared slowly out from the darkness lowering itself over the columns breaking off the tips sending small shards towards my legs and feet. My hands glided across the cold grooves of the nearby columns searching for an escape. The creature raised its large head up as a low rumble from within its massive chest rattled the ice and ground around me. An orange-red glow filled its throat and mouth as I dove behind a thick ice chunk that had broken off earlier. Fire spewed from its mouth melting a hole between two columns, the perfect escape from this nightmare. I raced towards my freedom angering the creature that was looking to have me as a meal. Shards of fire and ice exploded past me as I picked up my pace noticing a grove of trees ahead of me. Barley making it into the covering, I ducked under thick bushes covering myself with dirt to hide my scent. Trees being ripped apart in the distance were silenced as a shrill cry echoed from all around me as it the entire grove became a giant fire wall all around me. A rock formation rose from out of nowhere shaking the ground around below my already trembling feet. I started to sprint towards through black and gray smoke with my pursuer close behind. An opening in the formation could not come soon enough as I slid into the hole moving as far back as I could scraping off small parts of my skin. Wet earth squished below my feet as the creature's large head slammed into the rocks shacking the cave around me. Its cries of anger and frustration piercing my ears. 

My heart pounded harder as a black scaled claw ripped at the rocks, pulling the mouth of the cave open wider so it could get in. Rocks fell past me, as sharp teeth moved closer and a long tongue reached trying to wrap around my arm as it licked my skin. The sandpaper feeling of it grazing my skin gave me goosebumps as I tried to wipe the acidic saliva off with my shirt. The taste of my skin set it into a frenzy as it began to dig harder and more aggressively. I lost my footing falling backwards into the darkness. Cold air chilled me to the bone when fire arches from the rocky ceiling above. It was now in the cavern looking for its meal. I could see its massive silhouette coming towards opening its jowl bearing yellow teeth,  as I turned to see the rocky ground below racing to meet me. Crossing my arms to protect myself before I crashed into ground. I awoke finding myself on the hard wood floor of my bedroom with my blanket and pillow covering me. Throwing my pillow aside, I looked around my room making sure I was not still dreaming. My heart was still beating fast as I pulled myself up tossing my both back on the bed. After my shower my thoughts wandered back to those large red eyes staring at me as I finished getting ready for the first day of my senior year in high school. Today is also my eighteenth birthday, and starting it with a crazy dream is not exactly how I planned on starting it off."