Prologue

The sound of drums pounded closer towards the house. Henry, being the oldest, decided to wander outside to explore the odd noise.
He looked around in the dark and discovered a black cloud moving closer. His younger sister- Selene, was taking cover in their cozy basement, peering through a single window that lead up and to the outdoors.
Henry squinted towards the cloud. The longer he looked, the faster the storm dragged itself closer. It was as though he could not move his eyes. He was drawn to the storm through curiosity but quickly Henry sensed danger, almost smelled death.
His heart sunk.
He immediately began to run back to his home. He could hear the storm getting closer and closer with each heartbeat. Only a few steps away from the door and dust stirred up around him, catching him in the eyes.
Suddenly, the noises had stopped. That feeling of danger worsened- Henry's gut flipped inside out and when his sight had cleared, he turned around. Oh, he wish he hadn't.
Horses stood tall and proud, black smoke extruding from their nostrils with each breath. They grunted and kicked at the ground impatiently.
Henry's eyes moved from the horses to their riders. The hairs on his neck stood upright at the sight. He expected to see a head connected to the mens necks but no. Instead, each mans head rested safely under their arms, grins which spread from ear to ear. All Henry could do was fall onto his backside while breathing heavily and start begging for his life. The horses screamed, attempting to kick the petrified man.
The headless men laughed mockingly as one pulled out a rusty bucket from the side of his saddle. It was full of something and Henry couldn't help but wonder what. Smelled metallic. "We don't like all the attention, boy. You are to be marked for death," the riders voice was loud, irritated and scratchy. He was in front of all the others. Perhaps he had been the leader.
Henry quivered. A thick red syrup was dumped onto his body and he was dragged away through the dirt, screaming. His sister stared through the window, banging on the glass while crying. One of the riders looked back towards her but paid no attention.
She was looking at her lost brother. Not them.
The headless riders left, not to be seen again.