Chapter Twenty-Five

Start from the beginning

"Sleep is what got me into this problem in the first place," I said, grinding my teeth together. "I'll see you tomorrow."

I hung up the phone and dropped my head into my hands letting out a deep sigh.

Layna

I lost track of the days I had been in here. Whenever Leila left, she would also give me a syringe with fluid that knocked me out, and then left me disoriented and weak when I woke up. She would feed me enough to keep me alive, but not to be able to regain any of my strength. Occasionally in my drowsy state, I could feel my baby kicking proving to me that it was alive. It gave hope to continue living instead of just giving in.

Every time she came in here all she could talk about was how excited she was that soon they would find out who she was, and then their plan would finally be able to be executed. When they found her, that's when Timothy would finally be able to be free, and the real fun would begin.

Derek

When we got to Forest Brooke, we were immediately ushered into the supervisor's office. He was younger than I expected him to be, maybe in his mid-thirties, but was short in stature and very lanky.

"Dalton McAfee," he said giving us both a firm handshake. "I understand you're here to speak to Nurse Leila? You were very vague on the phone, so I don't understand what this could be about."

"Leila is actually a person of interest in an ongoing kidnapping investigation and we would appreciate it if we could just have a word with her, maybe clear some things up," Greene smiled.

"Of course," Mr. McAfee said, picking up the phone on his desk. "Let me just give her a call and have her sent up."

"Thank you."

"Hi, sorry to bother you," Dalton said speaking into the phone, "but can you send Leila up to my office? What do you mean she's not here today?"

There was a fluttering of anger in my stomach, and my hands started to shake. Someone must have warned her that we were coming, and the only lead we had was gone.

"Please inform me as soon as she arrives Nurse Morgan," he placed the phone back in its holder on the desk. "She hasn't shown up for her shift today."

Detective Green shook sighed shaking his head. "That's unfortunate, because I believe that when we spoke last night, you assured me that you would give her an extra shift to make sure she was here today."

In a flash, Greene had crossed the room and had grabbed Dalton by the back of the shirt and had slammed his face into the desk. Dalton groaned as he lifted his head up, clutching his now broken nose.

"Listen to me here Mr. McAfee, I don't appreciate people who tip off possible suspects and The Canadian Justice System isn't too fond of it either. Now, as I recall, that could be considered an accessory after the fact, since she has evaded police custody and could result in you going to jail. A pretty boy like you won't last long in jail, Dalton."

"I swear I didn't do anything wrong, Detective, I only asked her why the police were interested in her," he whimpered, resting his head on his desk as his shoulders shook.

Greene grabbed him by the hair on the back of the skull and pulled him up, "I told you that the phone call should be kept a secret."

"I'm sorry!"

John lifted him roughly up so that they were face-to-face, and looked at him with cold eyes, "Don't apologize to me. Apologize to the girl Leila kidnapped who's been missing for a month, and is five months pregnant. Apologize to her fiancé that has been going out of his mind because the women he loves and his unborn child are missing. Don't apologize to me!" he spat and pushed away Dalton like he disgusted him.

I watched in awe as Greene walked towards the door. This was the first time I had seen why everyone was so scared of him at the precinct. Just before he was about to leave, Allan turned back to the man whose face was now covered in blood. "I wanted everything you have on Leila sent to my office in thirty minutes. If it's not there, I will personally come back here and escort you to a jail cell, is that understood?"

Dalton nodded mutely, as John left the room, slamming the door behind him.

"I want to talk to an inmate you have here," I said, speaking for the first time since we had gotten here. "His name is Timothy Thornton."

***

I was quickly shown to a small room where Timothy was waiting for me, the guards already having come in and shackled him to the table.

When he saw that it was me coming to talk to him, he smiled. "Ah, Derek I'm thrilled that you came to visit me."

"Cut the crap," I said, pulling out the other chair facing him and taking a seat. "I know what you've done."

The smile didn't leave his face, "And what would that be, my friend. Because, thanks to you, I've been here for the past year of my life."

"I know you took her," I said, grinding me teeth to keep calm. I knew he got off on my reactions. "You may have fooled everyone else, but you can't fool me. I know what you're capable of."

"Me?" he pointed to himself in mock confusion. "I'm nothing but a mere psychiatric patient, locked in here until I die. Haven't you seen their security system? There is no way I could leave."

I stood up abruptly, slamming my fists on the table and leaning in so I was close to his face. "Don't play dumb with me you bastard. I know you have her, and I will find her."

"How sweet, a man willing to do anything for the two things he cherishes most in the world." Timothy leaned in as well until there was only an inch of space between us. "But are you? Willing to do anything, I mean, to get her back?"

"Yes," I whispered without hesitation, my tone deathly serious.

"Then tonight, you will go to the place where I first held her. Someone will meet you there to escort you to her. As soon as you see her, she will be set free, and you will become my prisoner. But, if I have the smallest inkling that someone is with you, I'll rip the child from her body while both of you watch, kill it and then kill her."

I felt nauseous as I looked at the psychopath in front of me, whose eyes held no remorse for what he had done, or what he would be willing to do.

"Guards!" Timothy yelled, his voice echoing around the small room, "Take me to my cell please."

As the doors unlocked he looked at me and smiled again, "I knew you would be the one to figure it out. But even you aren't smart enough to know what I have planned. Goodbye Derek." He stood up as the guards entered the room.

He spoke with certain finality, much like the grim reaper before he took a soul.