Chapter 4

The second I felt arms around me, I didn't want to let go. I felt fragile in his embrace.

I'm a curse, I told myself. I shouldn't be alive.

James held me up weightlessly. At first I watched the half second we were zooming out of the arena. Now it was a slow second, he walks his way through the wide open space, his arms still wrapped around me.

My father always did this, if I was fragile from a wound or from a nervous breakdown. The last time he did was that night I last saw him.

The house was burning and my father tried his best to find me. I was down already, inhaling the smoke and coughing roughly. My throat was dried then and I tried my best not to breathe in the clouds of gray.

I was in the basement, where the fire first started. It surrounded me, the stairs was half burnt and the gas was spreading, taking up as much as possible and with the touch of the fire, the whole line started to flame.

I covered my mouth and nose with the hem of my shirt but it was useless, I felt myself fainting and slowly dying from the thick clouds.

"KATHY"

I tried my best to wave my arm, calling my father.

"Oh Kathy" he purrs, knowing he's trying hard to calm down. "You'll be okay"

He drops the fire blanket, blocking the fire for him to pass by, lifting me in his arms. I finally felt safe and living. Alive. Finally.

A few fire trucks were parked on our front and as we both step out, they hurdled in. The time I let go of my father, I felt doubtful I'd see him again because in that moment I saw him step his way in once again. Then the house bursted into flames.

I cried, watching the fire strengthen, grasping waves of oxygen. It's building itself up. I screamed and felt myself deafening from it. Andre came in and held me in his arms, crying out for our father to return.

Mother blamed nobody but me. She loved father dearly and she was furious when he died. It was a switch, from love to hate. She treated me like dirt, maybe even lower. Making me the slave of the house.

Pointing at me with her forefinger, fisting my shirt. "You did this, child" she says harshly. "YOU KILLED YOUR FATHER"

"Kathleen" Jason cooed, waking me from my memory.

I was laying on the same cavern bed like earlier that day. "I'm a curse, aren't I?"

Jason shushes me, wiping the sweat off my forehead. "I know this wasn't supposed to happen. But it did"

"I'm the package" I spoke silently.
"Kath" Jason frowns. "This only means you're one of a kind. You're an immortal. You're-"

"The chosen one" I continued his sentence. He suddenly tenses and takes a step back.
"How did you-?" He squints.
I rested my head on the soft pillows. "I -"
"JAMES" Jason yells, calling the vampire.
A strong force came passed through the curtains but thin as the winds, James stood beside Jason. Surprising him.

"What's going on?" He turned to me. "Are you okay?"
"She knows" Jason explains as they faced each other. With their facial expression, James read Jason quickly.