three

As soon as those words escape his lips, all the color from my face drains out and I turn pale. My eyes are as widened as they possibly could be and my jaw is dropped. I remain frozen in place.

She's dead.

Scarlett Winters is dead.

I blink my eyes a few times to try to process everything that is happening. I shake my head as they fall into my hands.

Uncle Ben stays silent, too. I breathe in and out and slowly look up.

"She's dead?" I ask, my voice raspy.

"Yes, she is." He confirms, leaning back onto his stupid massage chair.

"But I- She..she," I stutter and look up at the ceiling and back down to Uncle Ben. "Scarlett can't be dead. No. You're lying, aren't you? Tell me you're lying!" I shout, my chest rapidly rising up and down.

"For god sakes, Harry! I'm not lying! Why would I even lie? I'm a detective!" He screams, just as loud as me.

How could she be dead?

I open my mouth to tell him how I talked to her just a week ago, but decide against it and quickly shut my mouth.

He'll just think I'm crazy.

"No, no. This doesn't make sense. She can't be dead! Are you positive she's dead? Are you really sure?!" I shriek, my voice shrill and I probably sound pathetic, but I couldn't care less.

Uncle Ben rolls his eyes and sighs in annoyance,

"Yes, Harry. Scarlett is dead." He hisses.

"This is such a mess." I mutter quietly.

Uncle Ben raises his eyebrows and takes a sip from his coffee.

"Why do you care so much about her anyways?" He questions.

"None of your business," I harshly spit, looking away.

He raises his hands in defense and lets out a small laugh.

I direct my gaze towards him and stare intensely.

"Why the hell are you laughing?" I ask, narrowing my eyes.

"Nothing, nothing," He waves off. "It's just.. I've never seen you so curious and protective over someone before. Oh, this is great." He finishes off before bursting into laughter.

I roll my eyes and snatch my bag, slinging it around my shoulder. I walk over to the corner and quickly slip my boots on and make my way to the front door.

"I better go." I announce, looking up at the wooden door.

I open the door and walk out, slamming it behind me before even waiting for a goodbye or an answer from my uncle.