Chapter 4: Questions

"Aiden?"

He looked up in surprise at the sound of his name.  "Yeah?"

A tall man in a white lab coat approached him-- one of the infirmary doctors.  "I'm sorry-- I didn't mean to disturb you..."

Aiden shook his head.  "No, no-- it's alright.  Gill and I were just heading out to go check on the farm sector..."

The doctor nodded, adjusting his glasses.  "Ah, I see.  I just wanted to tell you that our patient is awake..."

Aiden blinked.  "Lukas?  He... he's okay?"

"Yes.  He asked if you'd come see him if you got the chance...."

He struggled to control his shock.  Lukas had to see him?  After... after everything... unless... unless that was why... "Oh-- oh.  I... I'll go as soon as I can..."  He looked questioningly to Gill.

Gill nodded to him.  "Farm inspection won't take both of us-- go on.  I'll meet you in the cafeteria for dinner..."

Aiden dipped his head, exhaling.  "Alright-- see you..."

"See you, Aiden."  Gill slipped off.  Shakily, Aiden turned and followed the doctor back to the infirmary.

***

Lukas was propped up against the pillows on the hospital bed when he arrived.  Aiden watched him from the doorway for a moment, hesitant, unsure of what to expect from this visit.  He inhaled slowly, cautious, and then knocked quietly before entering.  Lukas looked up at the sound, and Aiden gave a small, uncomfortable wave, slipping inside.  "Hey..."

"Oh, hey... I didn't think you'd be here so soon."  Lukas shifted around, pushing himself more fully into a sitting position.  "I hope I didn't interrupt you..."

"No, no..." Aiden shook his head, "It's fine... you didn't."  He exhaled.  "How are you feeling?"

"Sore," Lukas murmured, wincing a little.  "But... thankful.  Very thankful..."

"Oh... that... that's good..." Aiden managed, hesitating.  The conversation trailed into uncomfortable silence.

"I didn't know you'd come back to our world," Lukas told him finally, seeming pensive.

Aiden shifted awkwardly.  "Oh, yeah... I... we... we came back a few weeks before... all of this.  Sky City was nice, but... it... it wasn't home..."  He hesitated, and then dropped his gaze to the floor.  "Lukas, I... I'm so sorry," he murmured.  "I... I don't even know where to start.  You... you were a great friend... a great leader, and... and I was absolutely awful to you.  You... you didn't deserve it all, and... I am so sorry.  I never deserved your friendship..."  He hung his head, ashamed-- knowing there was nothing he could say that would make up for what he'd done...

"I forgive you, Aiden."

Aiden blinked in surprise, and hesitantly lifted his gaze.  "You... you do?"

Lukas nodded, biting his lip.  "Yes.  What... what you did was wrong, and... and this won't change that, but...  you've got another chance here, and... from what I hear, you've been using it well.  They say you're quite the hero around here..."

Aiden swallowed, relief mingling with confusion.  "O-oh, they... they told you about that?"  He shook his head.  "I... I just did what needed to be done... they needed help... I... I couldn't leave them..."

Lukas smiled a little.  "That's what being a hero is, Aiden-- you made sure they made it out."  He frowned suddenly, lapsing into silence, and lowered his gaze.   For the first time, Aiden noticed the dirty bandana tied around Lukas's arm, and a sinking feeling rose inside him.

"What... what happened to the rest of the Order?" he asked softly.  Lukas flinched, inhaling sharply, and Aiden quickly continued.  "No, no-- it's alright.  Don't... don't feel like you have to talk about it, I... I'm sorry..."  He averted his gaze, going quiet.

Lukas took a deep breath, nodding mutely, and seemed to slowly recover himself.  His hand lightly traced the bandana for a moment before he lowered it again, looking up.  "Are the others here?" he asked softly.

"Yeah, they're here."  Aiden dipped his head.  "Gill's out checking on the farms, to make sure they're all working properly, and Maya..."  He hesitated, finally shaking his head.  "Maya's infected," he whispered in a very small voice.

Lukas flinched, shuddering visibly.  "Oh Aiden... I'm so sorry..."

Aiden exhaled slowly, fighting back a small sob.  "They... they've been keeping her in stasis, but... we still don't have a cure..."  He shook his head, looking away.

Lukas hesitated, looking around the room as if to assure himself they were alone.  "Aiden... come here..." he said quietly, his voice scarcely audible.

Aiden looked up, tilting his head in confusion at Lukas' sudden change of tone.  "Lukas?  What is it?" he asked, lowering his own voice as well.

Lukas quietly reached up and pulled back one side of his jacket, and Aiden's eyes widened as the glass bottle hidden in the inside pocket became visible.  "Lukas--"

"Aiden... I have the cure..." Lukas whispered.