Chapter 5: Burdens

"But-- where-- how??"  Aiden stammered, trembling slightly.  "We've been searching for so long-- we've tried everything--"

Lukas exhaled slowly.  "When we came back to this world... we found it in chaos.  Infected everywhere.  No place to hide.  But we managed to escape-- at least for a time.  We ran to the temple... we were able to lock the infected out, to buy some time.  Or, at least... most of them.  A few followed us inside, but we managed to trap them.  And when we did, Ivor got a sample of the Infection.  Before they broke in, he was able to synthesize a cure... but this bottle is all we have..."

"Lukas, I... I don't know what to say.  This cure, it... it changes everything!  We have to tell the commander!"  He stepped back, but Lukas quickly grabbed his arm.

"No!"  He paused, and then lowered his voice again.  "Aiden... we can't tell anyone... not yet."

"But-- but why not?  This is wonderful news!  It means we're saved!"

"No-- no it doesn't."  Lukas shook his head.  "This is the only bottle we have of the cure... and there are millions of infected.  We have to save this-- until we find a way to cure all of them..."

Aiden went quiet, looking down, and nodded slowly.  "Right..."  He exhaled.  "We... we should tell the commander-- he could get a task force working to replicate it!"

"It's not that simple," Lukas murmured.  "We had to build a synthesizer ourselves to make sure it would be powerful enough to actually make the cure.  And the only way we could do that was to use the Redstone Heart."

"Then we'll get the Redstone Heart and rebuild the synthesizer!" Aiden said.  "We'll make more of the cure and rescue the infected!"

"The Heart is still back at our temple, Aiden... surrounded by hordes of infected."  He shook his head.  "Ivor didn't have time to make more than one bottle... the infected broke in, and... we lost him and Olivia.  They were working on the synthesizer... we couldn't reach them in time..."

Aiden winced.  "I'm so sorry..."

Lukas exhaled.  "I'm just thankful they did get the cure... at least now, there's still a chance for them..."

They both went silent for a time.

"We should tell the commander," Aiden murmured finally.  "He's the only one capable of authorizing a task force to go get that heart..."

Lukas still seemed hesitant.  "I... I can't give up this cure... not until I know everyone has a chance..."

Aiden frowned slightly, but seemed thoughtful-- not pressing Lukas further.  "Then... then we'll tell him about the synthesizer, but not that we have the cure.  He-- he'd send out a party to recover the Heart-- I know he would!"

Lukas nodded slowly.  "That just might work... it's worth a shot!"  He sat up a little straighter.

"I'll go tell him right away," Aiden vowed, his excitement mounting.  "This is our chance-- we have to take it!"  He hurried out, and Lukas heaved a sigh, gazing down at the bottle again before tucking it back in his pocket.