Summer

Driving down the long-winded road to the beach house brought back memories that I have held buried deep within my heart, the were jumping at me from all angles. I wanted to turn around and not face these ghosts from my past but unfortunately there were stuff I had to do here that could not be pushed aside any longer.

Pulling into the drive way I parked my polo in the empty parking spot in front of the house that I've had spent every summer growing up. Well almost every summer…

Mom stopped coming here after grandma past away five years ago. It reminded her to much of her mother she lost. Grandma loved sitting on the deck looking at the waves while knitting, I would always sit next to her; listening as she told me and my cousins stories about her and grandpa when they just started dating.

After five years of putting off coming back here I decided it was time for me to move on and remember my grandmother as she was here, happy and healthy. There was something here that I needed an answer to, for that will determine the next journey of my life.

Taking a deep breath, I climbed out of the car and made it to the front door, I could hear the ocean on the other side of the house whispering my name as a quite welcome back. Oh, how I've missed this place so much.

Fishing out my set of house keys from my handbag, the door opened in front of me. Startled I jumped back a few paces and readied myself to face the intruder. The shocked face that met my eyes was not who I had expected.

Standing inside my beloved summer house was my first and only love: Dimitri.

*six years ago*

“Promise me that you won’t give up on us?” I whispered to Dimitri. We were sitting under the stars on the beach. It was our last day together before school starts for me and he heads back to collage.

“I’ll wait for you till the next time we get to see each other again.” He leaned in, placing a kiss on my cheek. We have not shared our first kiss yet and I wanted to save it for when we both know when we could make this summer romance into a permanent relationship.

See, Dimitri and I grew up together over the summers and any other holidays our families decided to have or vacation at the beach. We knew how to irritate the living hell out of each other, but we also knew just how important we were to one another. He knows everything about me, my likes and dislikes, what I want to be when I grow up and my dream of having a family of my own when the time is right. The only thing that he does not know is that I want him to be included in my family. From the age of sixteen I knew that I would one day marry Dimitri.

“I got you something to make this promise more official.” Dimitri sat up to fish something out of his pocket. It was a plain silver band ring. It didn’t have any stones on it or engravings.

Shocked I didn’t know what to think of this.

“I got you a promise ring, it's to show you that I promise to love you till the time that I can replace this ring with an engagement ring. Will you ware it for me?” He held it out to me giving me the opportunity to accept it.

“Yes I will.”  I held out I left hand to him so that he can place it on my finger. He gently took my hand in his, pushing on the ring on my ring finger. This was the happiest moment of my live.

Live just had a way of getting in the way of those plans because after that promise, we haven’t see each other sense.

*present*

“Dimitri?” He had changed so much in the last five years, but his gorgeous green eyes still had the same electric sparkle in them. He was well build and stood more than a head taller than me. I’ve always felt small next to him but now he wasn’t lanky and aqua world, he was tall, muscular with assurance and confidence.

As if me speaking broke a spell that was casted over him as he then  cleared the two steps between us and lifted me in to a tight embrace.

“Jennie, how I've missed you.” He whispered in to my hair as he hugged me tight to his chest. We stood like this holding each other as if it was the last time we would be able to do so.

“I’ve missed you so much.” I pulled back a bit so that I can look at his face, wanting to make sure this was not some dream but a reality.

Reaching out with my left hand I reached up and touched his brown hair. He had let it grow out, it touched the collar of his shirt. I always thought he would look good with long hair. He caught my hand as I was withdrawing it.

“You still have it?” Searching his eyes for any sign that would show me the answer I came here looking for.

“Yes, I needed to see you first before I could even think about taking it off.” If he still had feelings for me then I would find a way to make our relationship work.

“Five years is a long time to wait, your calls where few in the last year you know.” We tried to keep in contact through phone calls and messages but it was hard for me to keep in contact when I didn’t know just how much I could commit to him.

“It was really hard to hear your voice every day and know that I could not see you, but my feelings for you have not changed.” He had to know this was true.

“We could try for real this time? Make it official? I have a job now that will let me be close to you, so it could work?” This was the moment I was waiting for... for so long.

“Yes, let’s try.” His eyes sparkled with joy and a grim spreader across his face. Leaning up on my tip toes I brought my face close to his. He got the idea and met me half way.

Our first kiss of many that would still come.