Chapter Two - Rekindling

Start from the beginning

But now as she expressed the desire to go out for enjoyment, they couldn't help but let their surprise creep up again, for she was the one who wouldn't even come out of her room after her husband was thrown out, let alone travel the open streets of Delhi for self-enjoyment.

"So? What do you think?" The extended silence probed Anjali to re-ask her question with a suppressed grin as if she read their thoughts yet another time.

Devyani was the first one to overcome her surprise and she smiled, almost chuckling at her own state.

"Of course, bitiya. That sounds awesome."

"Yeah, that, that sounds like a plan." NK followed suit, grinning ear to ear in equal cheerfulness as Anjali.

Anjali's smile widened in glee as one by one, everyone agreed on her idea with enthusiasm until her eyes landed on her Chotte, who seemed to be having some conflicting thoughts instead.

"What happened, Chotte?" She reached to ask, seeing him truly disconcerted. "Is everything okay?"

Arnav jumped, startled at the sudden question and looked up to see all the stares at him. He gave out a resigned sigh.

"Actually Di, I don't think I can make it today. I have some really important works in office. Some candidates are also supposed to come and I really need to be there."

He said, leaving out the details about how he has been delaying his office works, first for the wedding and then to tackle Shyam, not wanting to hurt his Di nor his wife. He looked at them back and forth, earnestly wishing for them not to feel bad or that he was giving his office more importance than the family time they were getting after so long.

Sitting next to him, though Khushi felt a little disappointment, she also understood his plight. She had heard him this morning, whisper-yelling at Aman who was unable to postpone a meeting. She had then realized how much work he has kept aside for the various occasions they recently went through but it was now that she further realized how heavy the work load has become for him - to the extent where he even had to refuse his Di whom he was so happy to see smiling.

Exhaling, she enclosed his left hand that was on his thighs as he flashed her and Anjali an apologetic look, conveying that she is fine and understands him. He had smiled at her empathy but then both of them had looked at Anjali, praying hard that she would understand as well.

The smile she flashed Arnav, however, conveyed more than just a simple understanding.

"Its okay, Chotte. You can for go now but I won't let you escape next time." She said, giving him a pretended stern look which only enhanced the warmth he felt in his chest as he nodded whilst chuckling.

"Do you need any assistance, Bhai? I can come with you." Akash offered, not wanting his brother to over-exhaust himself after already dealing with so many familial crisis.

"No, Akash." Arnav smiled, politely shrugging his offer. "You go with them and take care of everyone. I'll manage." He said. Akash had already been pre-occupied with the office ever since his engagement. He had refused to let him (Arnav) take up any time-consuming tasks, saying that he only deserved to feel relaxed and happy and not stressed about meetings and clients. Pride and gratitude had spread across Arnav's chest at that time and he had nodded before moisture could make an appearance in his eyes in the presence of his younger brother. But now if he again gave him more work, it would be unfair. 

"I'll give you a call if I need anything." Arnav added a second later, seeing Akash about to retort until the latter finally gave in.

_________________

"Please don't forget to eat on time and take your medicines. I'll call to remind you but in case I forget, please do remember by yourself. Don't forget everything amidst work." Khushi said, folding the freshly washed clothes and keeping them on the bed on a neat pile.

A pair of warm and strong arms snaked around her waist in response, plastering her back to his broad chest and halting her movements.

"I'm just going to office, Khushi. I'll be fine." He whispered in her ears, his voice having a soothing edge.

She breathed out. Dropping the material in her hands, she then leaned back, relaxing her tensed muscles against him. 

"Just don't neglect your health." She whispered back, cocking her head to look up at him with a known look. The mixture of concern and warning that swam in her eyes made him laugh and he scooped down and kissed her left cheek.

"I won't." He promised.

Removing her hands from his that had enclosed her waist, Khushi turned around and kept her head on his chest, right above his heart and held him close by the waist. A second later, his hands moved up to encircle her shoulders and stroke her head.

"Khushi?" Arnav's voice broke the silence that had spiraled around them for a brief moment. 

"Hmm?"

Arnav ran his tongue over his dry lower lip, "I was thinking, maybe we could go on dinner tonight. I mean, you would already be back in the evening from the day out. I could pick you up and we could go, somewhere." 

Khushi's lips curved in mirth at the nervousness in his voice as it trailed off. Her chin pressed against his skin as she lifted her face and stared at him with narrowed eyes.

"Are you asking me on a date, Mr. Raizada?"

The teasing glint in her eyes made him smile automatically. The nervousness he felt while asking someone out for the first time vanished in thin air, and he reached out to smooth the fringe that had obscured his view of her angelic face.

"Maybe." 

"And what if I say no?"

The eyebrow she raised on him reduced his smile into a lopsided smirk and he tugged her body closer to his, watching with pride as her eyes went wide. He lowered his face, touching his lips with her reddening cheek.

"Then we can have our moment here itself. I don't mind."

She gasped as he proceeded to place an open-mouthed kiss on her neck and instantly gave him a little push from her.

"Shameless Raizada!" She gave out a breathless remark but he noticed the smile that bloomed on her face before she turned her back to him, trying but failing to hide her red face.

He shook his head and reached to take his laptop bag but before leaving, he placed another kiss on her exposed shoulder and whispered with an intact smirk,

"Tonight, at eight." 

________________