doves in the wind

Coconuts.

The last item she had on her list.

She picked up a young coconut and ran her fingers over the husk of the fruit. She placed it in her bag.

She handed the coins to the market farmer.

She never made it to the Maldives. She ended up in small island in the Carribean. Antigua.

Islands always scared her. The thought of being isolated from other land appealed to her and scared her.

She began her journey home. The deep sand, seeping and slipping through her toes as she gripped the long white skirt to keep to from tripping her. She looked towards the coast, pure clear water blended into deep dark waters as the ocean proceeded into the sunset.

She stopped walking and plopped into the sand, gripping her bag of fresh fruits and vegetables to her chest as she stared into the sunset, unknown of where the United States were.

The sound of the waves soothed her and her idle mind began to think of Jordan.

What is he doing?

She would never know, she didn't plan to go back home for a while and by the time she did, he would be forgotten from her mind and noted as another summer fling.

Who cared

Rubi and Jordan had grown into each other, their love getting stronger. Indya Marie left him. He didn't know her as much as he wished he did but he did know her enough to know that he would deeply like her. She left and it hurt him, his need and sorrow pulled him into a relationship he felt could help his pity, there was Rubi. He needed Indya Marie but there was Rubi.

"Guess what I got us." Rubi enters the balcony as Carti smokes a blunt, a bag of cannabis sat on the glass table to the left of him.

She moves his arm out her way and takes a seat on his lap.

"I got us tickets to the Carribean!"

Carti looked at her with a hint of joy in his eyes and a bland emotion Rubi couldn't distinguish. "I've always wanted to go, there was this one specific Island I liked, I don't remember.." he trailed off. "Which Island are we going to?" He continued.

"Well I was thinking we go to a few in the different areas.. Redonda, Barbuda and Antigua are close to each other and they have white sand, clear water.. it's going to be magical." She rambled on.

Carti stared at her as she spoke. He observed her features.. full, plump lips, almond eyes, thick eyebrows. He saw Indya in her but she didn't look like Indya at all.

"Carti! Snap out of it!" She snapped her fingers in his face.

"Man, get your fingers out my face!" He became irritable out of no where and pushed Rubi from him.

He grabbed his blunt from the ash tray and entered the apartment.

"The plane leaves Tuesday!" Rubi yelled out.

"Jerk."

The next day morning after I arrive, I planned to explore. I wake up super early, which is very unusual for me as I always wake up past eleven. I wasn't sure of what the people around here were like so I chose to play it cool, dressing in a pair of workout leggings and a regular white t-shirt that I've stolen from Ian.