He ushers me through yet another marvelous feat of architecture as I am left gaping at the sheer size of this palace. I have never seen anything like this and my eyes are set to wonder. The house is filled with both modern and antique luxuries that I have only heard about or seen pictures of.

We live such simpler lives in our zone that there are no large houses such as this even left, they have all been divided so that many people can live in them or turned into schools or orphanages. Nothing has been left the same since the wall went up some 15 years ago.

I run my fingers along the marble kitchen bench tops and smile at the chill that it gives off and then soon turn my attention to the suede caramel couch and let my hands feel the warmth of its texture. This place is utterly amazing and absolutely nothing like the other places that Alex has taken me to.

"This place is amazing!" my amazement seeps out through my voice and I don't even bother to hide it.

"Yeah it's great, but it's not what I brought you here for." Alex stands with his hands in his pockets smiling devilishly at me like he is hiding some big secret.

I gaze at him quizzically and wait for a hint but he gives me none.

"Then why did you bring me here?" His smile sets off my inner child and I decide to play along in his wicked game. Something about playful Alex makes me want to play along too.

"It's a surprise. First you need to put on some more clothes, it's getting pretty cold out there."

Alex heads to a closet and returns with an oversized men's coat, a velvet soft scarf and a hand knitted beanie and lays them on the couch gently before lifting the coat and holding it so that I can easily slide my arms through. When I am inside it securely he then proceeds to wrap the scarf around my neck gently two times and then slides the beanie over my head stopping just before my eyes.

"There, snug as a bug in a rug." He says comically as I let out a small laugh.

He slides his own beanie on next and makes sure that the heating is turned on before giving me his full attention.

"Now, it's time."

"Time for what?" The suspense is killing me.

"You'll see." His smile has grown even larger. This has to be the happiest I have ever seen him. I have never seen this side of Alex and he is completely intriguing.

He extends his hand out to me and gestures that I should take it. I scrunch my nose up at him teasingly and then place my hand in his.

He leads me through a dining area and to a large glass doorway that leads out to a patio that overlooks a lake. There is a daybed that takes its spot at the center of the decked patio and I instantly want to lounge on it. I am excited to see what Alex has bought me out here for.

I am still unsure what he is up to until we step outside fully and I look up.

There before my eyes is a pale green ribbon of light dancing majestically across the night sky. It is only small but magnificent in the way that it snakes around the darkness illuminating the lake before us.

My mouth drops open in awe as I stand speechless taking this amazing sight in. It's Aurora Borealis. I never thought that I would live to see the day that I would witness such a sight in the flesh and now that I am, I am beside myself.

I watch as the green grows brighter and hints of purple and blue streak across the sky as well joining in on the fun. They all entangle with each other as their radiance bounces from the lakes surface and shines down brightly over us.

The colours move as though no one were watching them, and with the exception of Alex and myself, no one else is. They are dancing just for me, just for us.

I am so overrun with joy that I feel tears begin to well in my eyes but I don't even bother to wipe them away. Instead I let them freely roll down my cheek as I remain glued to the skies and its amazing aerial spectacular.

I am so moved and attached to the sight that I have completely forgotten that my hand is still very much grasping Alex's and I don't even realize that I have begun to tighten my grip on his fingers.

Alex turns his body to face me but I can't take my eyes off this amazing sight. Nobody has ever done anything quite like this for me and the feeling is overwhelming. I don't even have the words to thank him.

"Do you like it?" His voice is soft and doubtful, almost as though he is afraid that I wouldn't like this amazing sight.

I turn to him and manage to drag my sights away from the skies and gaze into his remarkable blue eyes giving him my full attention.

"This is amazing. I have never seen anything like this." Tears flow freely as I speak and gently Alex places a chilled hand against my cheek and wipes away the stray tears.

His touch is cold yet it warms my heart and softens my every emotion. The very thought of Alex is warming in this moment. It's as though he is the sun and I am fortunate enough to feel its warmth on my skin. In this moment, Alex is the center of this universe and my thoughts and feelings for him grow in both speed and density.

Slowly he leads me to the railing at the edge of the patio and stands protectively behind me with both of his hands on either side of me, holding onto the barrier. He stands as though I were someone special to him and that he would rather stand between me and harm's way than have anything happen to me.

I see this act of chivalry and softly place my hands on his, interlocking our fingers to give him a silent vote of confidence.

Something is happening with Alex. He is changing in ways that I would not have believed possible for a vampire, but then maybe he is merely showing me his true self.

He steps closer into me and closes the gap between us completely so that my back is against his chest and I tilt my head backwards to let it rest against his collarbone, feeling the steadiness of his breathing.

We stand like this, intertwined and gazing at the sky and watch as the colours change and light up the darkness in all its glory.

I am speechless at his generosity to take me here and not to my death first. Maybe this is to be my last night on this earth and that's why he brought me here, I'm not sure, but what I do know is that this has to be the greatest thing that anyone has ever done for me and I only wish that I could convey just how much this means to me.

"You said so yourself, this could be your last night on earth. Thought you would want to see something as beautiful as you." He brushes my cheek with his nose as he speaks and then softly presses his lips against my skin.

"Last night on earth." I whisper knowing what I want. It is clear now.

A/N - thanks everyone for being amazing readers!!! This story is far from over so keep voting and commenting! I love hearing what you think xoxox