how did we get here?

Two months later, Nihal had retaken the SATs, and sent his application to another school that he so desperately wanted in - NYU. I was almost sure he'd get in and had already started looking for places for us together. It was so domesticated that I felt shy even thinking about it.

'Tell me that you want to go to NYU. I already feel so guilty about you not going to UCLA,' I said one night, wondering if he really wanted to do this.

'Of course I want to. NYU has an excellent Business Administration course.'

And then, later, he said something about make-outs and privacy and literally every thought about guilt flew right out of my mind. I was ridiculously happy, the old brooding self had been replaced with a much nicer version of myself and I couldn't  help but like it.

But as much as I was happy-

My dad was just as bummed. But I didn't care anymore, I was leaving, with the love of my life by my side, and there was nothing he could do about it. My dad would get over it.... eventually.

My mom on the other hand was elated and had already started planning another party for my send-off. She thought it was Mrs. Kapoor's daughter that finally convinced me and although it was a bit far fetched, the explanation fit into her heteronormative world. So, all was good in mine.

'You can still apply to Berkeley or,' I said, with my head lying on his stomach because that was apparently our thing now. 'Even MIT.'

He narrowed his eyes at me, 'I don't have the score to get in there.'

'Yet.'

He tried to get up but my weight pushed him down. 'Yeah, whatever. I'm starting to think that this sleepover is going to be a consultation session for me.'

I could hear the smile in his voice.

'Well it won't be for long if you could just meet me there,' I said, half annoyed and half amused.

'Really? What do you want me to do?' I laughed at his sudden enthusiasm and pulled myself up to look down at his face. He looked glorious and for a second, I didn't believe that he was all mine.

I placed a finger in his lips, telling him to quiet down. 'How did we get here?'

All that I had done the past few years was pine after him and then suddenly I knew that he liked me back too. It was overwhelming but also just as exhilarating.

He licked my finger and I removed it to wipe it off my jeans. 'Ew. Dude.'

'You didn't say that the other day,' he said, waggling his eyebrows.

I blushed red at his suggestion, knowing fully well that yeah, I was very guilty of what he had accused me of.

'Ah Nihal....just like that,' he said in a mock tone that sounded absolutely nothing like me but it had me turning even more red than I already was. I checked to see if the door was properly locked, reminded of acts that I wanted no one to walk in on, because both our shirts had been lost somewhere in the room and it would give a completely wrong idea.

Ugh, you mean the right idea.

Shut up.

It had obviously happened as a result of some delirious flirting and you know, general horniness. Was that even a word? Ah, who cared anyway?

And thankfully for us, Mr. and Mrs. Mehra were both out of town, otherwise they'd be scarred for life. I'm sure they didn't want to see their son and his best friend, together half naked.

'You know? This is your fault. This-' he said, pointing between the both of us, '-would've happened a lot before if you had just sucked it up and told me.'

'What and risk being staked? No thanks. Why are you complaining? This arrangement isn't half bad,' I said, tracing an eight on his chest. It vibrated under me.

'Babe, of course it isn't. I'm involved.'

I scoffed. Glad to know he hadn't changed his cocky ways. I slept back down on his stomach and after some time, just laying there, when I was contemplating my life decisions, he said,

'Diwali.'

'What?'

'That's how we got here.' And then he kissed me, sweet and caring, like there was no rush in the world, like he was there to stay.

And maybe, just maybe we had all the time in the world.

*********
A/N : So.....That's all, folks! Thank you to everyone who stuck around this far and gave this book a chance and liked it?? Hopefully??

Regardless, I want to thank you for taking time out of your day to read DIWALI. It's immensely appreciated. Cheers.

P.S. A very Happy Birthday to fellow Potterhead sahitipappu. Hope you had a great day :)

P.P.S. Also, Advanced Happy Birthday pradeep02. Hope you have a great one!

And I'm out.