Chapter 1

For moons the four of them trudged through the forest, and Skykit still didn't understand. She didn't understand why they had been walking, why they had stopped at so many clans yet never found a home, and why they couldn't return home.

Petalkit and Cloudkit seemed fine with the idea. They spent their days chasing butterflies and tackling each other. But Skykit strayed aside. She didn't want to ruin their fun. Did they ever wonder about why they were here?

Skykit felt her mother nudge her awake. They had taken shelter in FireClan for the night, and they had stayed in one of the empty dens.

The leader, Honeystar, seemed very kind. Skykit had even made friends with another kit named Lionkit. He seemed to understand her better than she understood herself.

"Wake up, Skykit," her mother said gently.

Skykit let out a big yawn and rose to her feet. "Mother, are we going to stay in FireClan? The cats here are so nice! I want this to be my home," she announced.

Skykit was disappointed as she watched Rosefur's smile turn into a frown. "I'm afraid not, Skykit. I don't think it's the right clan for us."

"That's what you always say," Skykit complained.

She watched as her mother desperately tried to smile. "We'll find our home soon."

Skykit didn't believe her mother one bit. Here, they had spent moons trying to find a home, and Skykit still had trouble understanding why they couldn't stay in one clan.

Honeystar padded over to the group of cats, a smile on her face. "How are you doing?" she asked Rosefur.

Rosefur purred. "Oh, just fine, thank you. I wanted to let you know we'll be on our way now. We don't want to bother you."

"Oh, well, you don't have to leave," Honeystar told Rosefur. "You are welcome to join our clan if you want. I don't turn down strong warriors."

Skykit smiled at the cream-colored she-cat. Maybe her mother would decide to stay.

"That's very kind of you, but I'm afraid we'll be on our way now," Rosefur told the she-cat. Skykit frowned at her mother, but Rosefur hardly noticed.

Honeystar dipped her head, and within a few moments, the siblings were on their way into the forest once again. Would they ever find a home?

"Skykit!" an urgent voice came.

Skykit turned around to see a small ginger kit. Lionkit.

"Where are you going?" he asked.

"I'm leaving," she told him. She tried to hide the pain in her words. She didn't want Lionkit to think she was weak.

"What? Why?" Lionkit asked.

"We were never meant to stay here," Skykit explained. "We're just finding a temporary home for now. I'll be heading back to my real clan soon." These were thoughts she tried to think were true.

"Where is your real home?" Lionkit whimpered. She noticed how glassy his eyes had become.

"I don't know," Skykit replied honestly.

Lionkit seemed confused, and no more words tumbled out of his mouth. Instead, with watery eyes, he glanced at Skykit one last time. Then, he ran back off to his clan. The last time Skykit would ever see him...

Skykit looked out into the distance, hoping he would return. But the small tom did not. Skykit's only friend was gone.

Skykit tried to turn, but her legs were stuck to the ground.

"Skykit, come on," Petalkit urged.

Skykit glanced behind one last time and walked off slowly, heading back on her journey.