Rumors and Lies

Over the next few weeks, as could have been predicted things started to settle down at the office. Their colleagues had got bored of gossiping over the fledgling romance and had by now moved on to gossiping about someone else.

Rory had settled into her new apartment quite well, though Logan still wasn't happy with her living there but she was adamant that is where she wanted to be. They had continued to go on dates once or twice a week, and although neither of them were seeing other people, they had resisted putting a label on what they were while her divorce was still progressing.

That morning the newsroom was expecting a visit from Mitchum Huntzberger, which meant that everyone was head down trying to keep busy or at the very least, trying to make themselves look busy. It wasn't that people were overly scared of him but more that he was the person they wanted to impress in the hope of getting some praise or even better, a promotion.

Mitchum entered Logan's office and sat down opposite him. He hadn't knocked on the door but Logan expected nothing less from this father.

"So is it true?" Mitchum said as he leaned back with his hands behind his head.

"Is what true?" Logan asked.

"The rumors I've heard about you and our lovely features editor." Mitchum raised an eyebrow at his son watching for his reaction.

"I guess that depends on what you've heard," Logan said looking at his father trying not to give too much away.

"I heard that James Attwood was in the office recently, throwing around accusations that you have been screwing his wife into next week."

Logan closed his eyes and rubbed his face "It's not like that Dad." He hated that people might think that Rory was just another of his conquests. It had never been like that with her.

"Aha, so it's true!" Mitchum laughed "I knew that something was going on there. Never really saw you as a home-wrecker Logan."

"She's getting divorced," Logan said.

"I heard. I also heard that you are named in the divorce papers. Your mother is going to have a fit over this. You know that we aren't going to be able to control this news don't you?" Mitchum said looking at his son.

Logan nodded. "I'm more concerned about Rory than myself. James Attwood has a lot of fans, I'm worried how this will all reflect on her."

Mitchum nodded. "You might have wanted to think about that before you jumped into bed together but we'll do our best to minimize any bad press. You know, it wouldn't hurt for you two to start putting on a loving united front. Legitimize it and make it look less like a sordid tryst..."

------

On the advice of Mitchum, Rory and Logan prepared to make their first official appearance together. They were to attend an awards ceremony at The Plaza, officially representing Huntzberger Media.

As they entered the event, Logan took Rory by the hand and cast an appreciative glance up and down. She was wearing a midnight blue off-the-shoulder, mermaid-style gown, that carefully skimmed over her enviable figure with her hair swept up to one side and fastened into a messy bun. Logan couldn't get over how lucky he was to have someone as beautiful as her on his arm.

"What are you looking at?" Rory said self-consciously.

"I can't wait until you take that dress off later"

Rory looked at him confused "You don't like my dress?"

Logan moved in closer "Oh no I love that dress. But I have a feeling that I am going to like what's underneath it a whole lot more." He whispered in her ear and Rory shivered.