----------------------------------------

The next day, went by slowly. Entirely TOO slowly. I couldn’t wait until after work and Alicia could tell.

“What’s up with you today? Why are you so… I dunno... antsy?” She asked me as I fidgeted with the computer.

“Oh,” I giggled nervously, “Nothin. I’m just waiting to get off today.” I replied simply.

“Why? What do you have going on after work? Getting some nookie today huh? Is that it?” Alicia asked excitedly.

“What??! No! I’m just chillin with a buddy… you know, happy hour that’s all.” I said, trying to downplay my excitement.

“Happy hour? With who? The security chick you went on a date with?” She inquired.

“I did NOT go on a date... it was just... a hang out session. Nothing major.” I said trying to defend myself. Alicia stared at me. I looked back innocently and smiled. “What?” I asked.

“You’re lying! Lest we forget that just a few days ago you were SOOOOOO obsessed that you had a lil…  what’d you call it, ‘date rendezvous thing’? Isn’t that what you said?” Alicia accused, calling me on my shit.

“Ok ok, I thought it was a date thing until we got there.. then I realized that we are probably better of just being friends. Besides... she’s not even my type. I’m not into studs.” I said once again defending myself. But in reality I was just trying to convince myself that the words I spoke were true. I couldn’t be attracted to this chick because she was so clearly a STUD. She was the dominant one, and that was supposed to be ME. That was supposed to be MY role. Besides, she talked about other chicks the whole time. She wasn’t interested in me... nor I in her.

“Stud, fem, butch... whatever you lesbians are calling yourselves these days doesn’t matter because, you know what, you’re all the same thing… WOMEN LOVIN ON WOMEN.” Alicia said schoolin me to something I already knew. “You liked her when she was in uniform… What changed?”

“Nothing…” I started. “I just realized after hanging out with her that I don’t really like her like that.. We’re just cool.” I laughed nervously, hoping the Alicia was accepting the lie. “just buddies. Homies.. namean?”

Alicia stared blankly. “Uh huh… ok Caprice. Well anyway, since you won’t tell me the truth, this whole RJ situation is getting out of hand again. I got another voicemail today but this time it sounded like RJ having sex with that whale. I almost threw up my lunch.”

I fake gagged, “Oh wow.. yea… um.. let’s not talk about that woman having sex before I throw up my lunch from YESTERDAY.”

“Okay okay fine. Well won’t you look at that? You have 5 minutes left on the clock! And not a customer in sight. You might actually get out of here on time today. Unlike me… since I’m closing and all.” Alicia told me.

“Oh shit it is. Well lemme get ready to get out of here.” I said, gathering my things and grabbing my phone to text Jazz.

Hey, Imma go home and change outta my work clothes, meet you at the bar in about 30? I tapped out in my phone and hit send.

About 14 seconds later, I received a simple “K” I looked at my phone shockingly… did I really just get K’d? I shrugged it off. We definitely were just friends and that’s it. I don’t even know why I was lowkey getting in my feelings at a K.

I clocked out, said my farewells to Alicia, hopped in my car and drove home. When I got there, I threw my work stuff off as it scattered its way toward my bedroom behind me. I HATED being in work clothes. I went to my closet and found a simple black pair of Levis and an all white T-shirt. I grabbed my black and white concord 11’s and my cross necklace that I wore everywhere. I tied up my locs into a ponytail and sprayed some of my “smell-good” on. My simple yet sexy look was complete. I figured, since I’d be drinking, I might end up finding someone that I liked so why not. I definitely wasn’t getting cute for Jazz.

I went to the kitchen and took a swig of my tequila straight from the bottle. I needed to take the edge off because the butterflies in my stomach were on that booger sugar right now. I looked at the bottle and took one more swig before heading to the door, picking up my keys and leaving.

-----------------------------------

As I pulled up to the bar, my heart started racing. It was a restaurant that was known for their bar so I knew there would be a lot of people there for happy hour. My heart was racing. Damn, that shot didn’t work at all. And I would be walking in alone. I took a deep breath and braced myself for what could possibly be an awkward social situation.

I got out of my car, clicked the lock button and my horn honked letting me know the doors were secure. As I walked in, as smooth as silk, the hostess looked me up and down seductively as she smiled.

“Hey, how are you? Welcome to Thursdays. Will you need a table or are you going to the bar?” She said in the most sexy voice ever. Her voice was mellow and smooth like Alicia Keys and she looked a little like her too. She was damn near perfection.

I smiled. “Na, Imma just go to the bar.”

“The bar is self seated. Choose a seat and enjoy!” Miss Alicia-Keys-look-alike said, gently running her hand down my arm. It sent chills through my body. I can’t lie.

I walked over to the bar, casually looking back to see the hostess staring at me as I walked away. When I turned around, I stopped just in time to run into a chair… and yes, she saw it. I fumbled my way around the bar and laughed at myself as I saw Jazz sitting at a bar stool toward the end of the bar. She saw the whole thing. She smiled that perfect smile of hers and my heart melted. I walked up to her, smiling yet oh so nervous.

“Hey.” I said, greeting her simply.

“Hey.” She smiled. “So what are you drinking?”