Chapter Fourteen.

I felt my stomach rumble as hunger pains engulfed my body; I felt like I hadn’t eaten for years. I tried to sit up, frowning when I felt like two steel bands were wrapped around my waist. With a savage growl my eyes shot open and I found myself staring into the peaceful face of Yiannis. His eyes shot open at my growl, pushing me behind him as he crouched on the bed, his eyes surveying the room for a threat.

He turned to me with darkened eyes. “What’s wrong?”

I shrugged, trying to push away the pressure in my head; it was constantly there, always in the back of my mind. Sometimes when it got too bad I felt like I was going to snap but then Yiannis would pull me back; the feeling of violence that overtook me, the urge to kill, scared me though. “I’m hungry.”

He stood and stretched, his shirt riding up over his abs. My eyes were glued to the way his muscles flexed and I swear I almost started purring. He cleared his throat and I noted the way the brilliant colour of his eyes darkened slightly. “Let’s go then; I think they’re serving-,”

“Lunch.” I could smell it from here, hear the constant chatter of the other wolves.

“Exactly! Everyone was really worried about you and they all wanted to be by your bedside when you woke so they’ve made a mouth- watering lunch for you.” He placed his hand on my lower back and steered me out of my bedroom. He was slow going down the stairs, trying to look out for me; I felt fine though, apart from my raging headache.

When we made it to the bottom of the stairs wolves were everywhere. I’d never noticed it before but they smelt like the forest after rain; it was pleasant, but something in my head began pounding against my skull. I groaned quietly, reaching up to rub my temples. “Evan!”

Multiple arms locked around me and reacting on instinct I growled, struggling in their grip. They instantly let me go and I backed away, growling anytime anything moved. I felt someone grab my arms and step in front of me, acting on instinct I lunged forward, teeth bared. “Evan!” Yiannis’ voice pierced the red haze that had descended over my vision.

I looked up at him in confusion. “Yiannis?”

He frowned down at me and I could see the worry in his eyes. “We’re having lunch and then we’re leaving.”

“Where are we going?” I asked as he steered me towards the smell of food, making my stomach grumble and my mouth water.

“Away; something went wrong and you’re out of control, you could hurt someone and there is a baby in this house.” He said, walking through an archway. I paused, staring at the array of foods that were laid out on the table… the dining room table. My eyes were drawn to the head of the table, to the empty seat.

He was slumped over the table, a knife sticking through the back of his skull, dried blood pooled around his head.

I gasped, stumbling back, my gaze fixed on his seat. The image of his body kept flashing behind my eyes as stared at the chair he’d always sat.

Pain exploded in my head, spreading throughout my body. A loud crack echoed through the room and with a pained whimper I clutched my hand, staring down at my fingers as they stuck out at odd angles. What’s happening to me?

“Evan, Evan what’s wrong?” I stared at Yiannis, though I barely heard him.

I held up my hand as another finger cracked, tears rolling down my face. “It hurts Yiannis.”

“I know it does.” He said, scoping me up in his arms as he strode out of the room. His touch was comforting but did nothing to stop the pain.

“What’s happening to me?” I cried as my wrist snapped, pain shooting through my body. It hurt; it hurt so very much and I felt like I was being ripped apart from the inside out. He gently placed my body in the back seat of my truck, slamming the door as he jumped in the driver’s seat.