Chapter Eight.

“Pleasure doing business with you Jed.” I said shaking hands with the man I most despised; the man who’s down fall I’d just sealed.

His grip was weak, his eyes droopy and blood shot, his hair falling out as he had signed the papers; Pine Hill had gone bankrupt and they couldn’t afford Jed’s medicine any longer. Like the caring person I am, I offered to take Pine Hills off their hands for a considerable amount of money, and like the desperate people they were, they accepted.

I now held the deed to Pine Hills and the key to their house; today just kept getting better and better. The new bunkers had been built and now rouges from all over the world were coming to live and work on my ranch; day by day more men and women would arrive at the ranch, one at a time or in small groups. It was astounding how quickly they came and how many people my friends knew.

Double T was now complete again. The Pines house was similar to the massive cabin I lived in but it was way too far away to be useful. Though it could fit between the house and the newly renovated bunkers and the sides could be opened to form one giant cabin; could it work though? I guess I’d just have to see.

The heat was stifling as I climbed back into my truck, cranking the air conditioner up to the highest setting. It was only early morning but it was almost a hundred degrees already; it looked like it’d be one of the summer days where work was done after sun down and the day was spent in the cool shade of the nearby lake.

Over the past two months since that wolf dared come and threatened me, I hadn’t heard a thing from them; I knew it wasn’t over though, but now there were at least forty rouges living on the ranch, we were a force to be reckoned with.

The sound of my truck driving up the drive attracted the attention of the few people walking around; I’m sure that most were in the house, enjoying the air conditioning.

When I opened the front door, I knew I was right; people were everywhere. I brought my fingers to my lips and blew, an ear piercing whistle echoing around the house making everyone immediately stop whatever they’d been doing.

“I just finished merging Double T with Pine Hills; everyone’s got the day off so let’s go swimming.”

There were cheers all round as I walked through the house to get my old swimmers. I had to dig around my drawers for a while until I found them pushed in the back of my bottom drawer. I looked at the two piece suit with uncertainty; could I do this? I’d freaked out months ago when Mads saw the scars; could I really wear this around everyone?

I’d be in the water most of the time, I had my cut-offs and a tank top, plus no one would really care; hell yeah I could do this. I changed into the two piece and fished a pair of short cut-offs and a crop top out of the back of my wardrobe. The smell of food hit my nose as I closed the door to my room, a towel slung over my shoulder.

“What smells so good?” I asked Kate as I walked down the stairs.

“Lunch, we’re going to take it down to wherever you’re taking us.” She said, packing sandwiches into a big hamper, though she really had to stretch her arms as her belly was massive now, almost ready to pop, and she couldn’t get close enough to the bench.

I took the wrapped food from her as Lennox walked in. “How about you go sit with your mate and I’ll handle it.” She began grumbling but waddled over to Lennox who scooped her up into his arms and nuzzled her neck.

I turned to pack away more sandwiches when the hamper was snatched out of my hand. I frowned, pursing my lips and turned to Maddox. “Can I help you?”

He grinned down at me and held up the hamper. “Need some help boss?”

I smiled and handed him the sandwich I was holding. “Sure, you can make lunch for everyone while I get the trucks packed.”