Chapter 23 - A New Hope

A growing problem not only in India but all over the globe was that students were more stressed than ever. I had even read somewhere that indian teens committed suicide more than any other country in the world. A common cause of concern is the pressure from our parents to do well in the class XII board exams and even before that. There have been many incidents in the past where students have committed suicide during exams and on the result day. But what can be so extreme that students decide to end their life ,I've always wondered......?

The Psychologists suggest that students suffer from anxiety and traumatic disorder relating to fear of examination. And the fear not only comes from the school but also from parents, who go to extreme levels to push their children into getting better grades.

The best time of the life that we students are supposed to enjoy and cherish is the time we are pushed to extreme levels which can be overwhelming for many. 

Time and time again many complaints have been made against the Indian education system which is more inclined towards memorization and takes long systematic study hours. Leaving less time for recreational activities, and socialization which is an essential part of our development into an adult.

The performance of a student's 12th grade determines the choice of college or university he/she will get admission in. Students from science stream goes into further stress by giving entrance exams for different universities and colleges. And the competition is fierce. Some students prepare for upto 6 years to clear these entrance exams... I ain't even mildly joking !

In India self-worth of a student is determined by the academic success and grades, and not on the basis of individual qualities they already do possess. Horrible ? very much. 

My mom  tried to get rid of cable connection, internet, computer, only so that I could concentrate and get better grades.. some parents take even stricter actions.

  The emphasis is so much so on the better grades that many students forget the fun element in learning. I'm pretty sure the indian schools have way more nerds and geeks than anywhere on the planet :p

 Majority of the parents criticized their children by comparing the latter's performance with that of the best performer in the class. As a result, instead of friendship, there develops a sense of rivalry among classmates. Some parents even tend to demean the achievement of the top scorer of the class by stating that he/she might have been favoured by the teacher. 

  I guess the overall unemployment situation in India has also provoked parents to put pressure on their children for better performance. Some of the parents wish to fulfil their unfulfilled dreams through their children. All these have made a normal pursuit for adolescents leaving them to deal with the demands of the school as well as that of their tutors.I'm pretty sure that atleast half of the parents appoint 3 to 4 private tutors or even more for their wards. On days when there are no academic tuitions, there are art or music lessons. The students hardly get time to watch TV, to play or to interact with neighbours freely or even to get adequate sleep. Naturally such students end up being nervous wrecks when the examination pressure mounts.  

why does no one understand that social skills are equally important to academic knowledge? While mild anxiety is considered to be good for students to keep them task oriented, excess anxiety has been associated with poor performance ?

  Cultural practices in India  also underlie the observed higher anxiety levels among boys than girls, let's take my case... since my father passed away in a  few years everyone expects me to be the breadwinner of the family. My mom ? she doesn't even have to work cause she's a female and she's in no compulsion to work. The society doesn't bat an eye! Even though the percentage of working women in India is steadily increasing in the recent years, till date men's income is considered as the primary financial support in majority of the families. 

" study , study ,study"  

I must have heard that word a million times before  finished my 12th grade.