[ 24 ] Dialogue + Quoting

Let's get straight to it, 

aye?

    Have you ever seen a movie or tv show that just had a profound impact on you? It could be the entire film or series, but I bet you can pin-point that exact moment that hooked you on.

   What was it?

   I bet it was your favorite character doing something and then following it up with an epic quote that just spoke to you and shook your entire world.

    I know that's happened to me plenty of times. When I think of effective dialogue + quoting, I always think of this scene from one of my favorite tv shows of all time:

 When I think of effective dialogue + quoting, I always think of this scene from one of my favorite tv shows of all time:

So here, House is shouting at Taub

So here, House is shouting at Taub. The interaction is easy to spot as it's between two people. 

   Can you imagine how ineffective this scene would be if say House wasn't looking at Taub, and if the room had other participants?

   You'd be a bit lost thinking about who he was talking to. Writing is very similar. Always, always address the people in the story. If you don't, viewer engagement is lost.

   Here's an example of a common mistake many do that can easily be corrected:

FIRST PARAGRAPH READS: 

The show went "great", and what Cadence meant by great was flips and dives that she used to do. Might as well, the best chants from the humorous crowd. Of course, victory and event led them to the bar that Candice had suggested. That suggestion ended up with Zack and Candence dancing while talking about their topic.