15; surprise

MISS ME?

 ❝ MISS ME? ❞

The foliage littered streets were getting colder by the day. Night was beginning to fall and a tinge of orange appeared in the sky, and I was covered in layers of clothing to keep warm from the frigid weather. I could see Hanson's convenience store as I turned the last corner.

My leather clad hands had finger openings and it felt as if I'd been frost bitten. I carried Hanson's book close to my chest for a bit of warmth and hurried down the vacant dirt sidewalk. When I made it to the door and over the threshold, he seemed almost surprised to see me.

"Holly, you haven't been around for nearly a week now," he greeted behind his counter, finger tapping rhythmically on the glass surface. I wiped the dirt from my shoes on the rugged carpet, then hurried to the front desk. Although I visited him routinely every wednesday, I still stopped by the odd couple of times to say hello.

"Grounded," I replied shortly. "I brought you your book. My dad let me visit because he didn't want you getting angry or anything that I hadn't returned it."

"I would never get angry." Hanson pursed his lips and took the novel from her hold. "You know that."

"He doesn't." She shuffled her feet and crossed her arms over her chest. Hanson emitted a weary sigh and from the ill color under his eyes, I could see he wasn't doing too well. His fingers seemed to tremble more than usual and as he trailed over, his balance seemed almost off.

"Are you doing well?" I asked, pulling together my brows. The older man waved his hand and blew from his thin lips.

"I've come down with a cold." He grabbed a tissue from the front counter and blew into it harshly, making me cringe. He made a strange noise from the back of his throat and then tossed the rag into the bin.

"You should think about getting some employees around here." I waved my finger around the room. "You shouldn't be working with a cold like that."

"Please, Holly. I've run this store unassisted for many years now. I think I could manage a silly cold."

I nodded my head slowly and twisted my jaw, unsure of what to believe. He jerked his brows and placed a hand on the counter. "So, would you like to inform me of why you're grounded?"

"Oh." I licked my lips and uncomfortably shifted toward the door. "You really want to know?"

"I really do."

"I got into some trouble because I vandalized my ex boyfriend's car."

Mr. Hanon's face twisted into something of worry and disdain. His arms slowly slid across his chest, his tongue across his wrinkled and thinning lips, and then took a step forward. "You were with that boy."