Chapter 20

-----------------------------------

Chapter 20

            I felt like I was floating on a cloud. Of cotton candy. I was officially in dreamland.

            Wind whipped through my hair—a cool, caressing breeze—and the speed at which I was going made me feel like I was literally flying. Like Jasmine on Aladdin’s flying carpet. So yeah, it kind of felt magical.

            Was it just me or was my brain turning to mush?

            Although, it could have been the fact that I was practically hugging A’s rock-hard abs on the back seat of his motorcycle. Scratch that—he didn’t have a back seat. There was only one seat, and we were both pressed up against each other trying to fit on that single seat. So, to

clarify, my swimsuit area was pressed against his rock hard gluteal region. And damn, was I enjoying it.

            The bike slowed to a stop, and I realized that we were in front of my house. My entire street seemed sort of eerie. It was pitch black and no one was outside. My driveway was empty too; it seemed that Aunt Lisa had to take another night shift. A subtle sigh slumped my body as I realized that I’d be home alone, again. The sounds of bats and owls, doing whatever it is they do at night, filled the atmosphere. I had never noticed this before—probably because I had never been out past midnight before.

            I swung my leg around and stepped off the bike, my wobbly legs almost causing me to fall on my face. I pulled my hair over my shoulder, smoothing it down nervously. What was I supposed to do now?

            “Er,” I stuttered, “thanks for bringing me home.”

            His black hole of a face tilted toward me slightly, and I could tell he was watching me from the corner of his eye. He spoke nothing, though. I shivered.

            “Well, uh, bye.” I quickly turned and began walking up my driveway, wanting to shake off the eerie feeling that had quickly surrounded me. It wasn’t long before I heard the bike’s engine being cut, and a pair of light footsteps following. I stopped where I was and turned. Sure enough, a faint outline of a figure was walking toward me. My eyes widened. If I hadn’t known better, I would have screamed. Instead, I shakily said, “Where are you going?”

            “Cupcake, I drove you home. Don’t you think you should invite me in?” he challenged.

            “Not really,” my voice came out as a whisper.

            He imitated my whisper, “Too bad.” He then proceeded in walking past me and up to my front door, taking something from his pocket, putting it in the key hole, twisting it, and opening the door. He casually stepped foot in my house while I still stood there on the driveway, gaping.

            Then, “Wait!” I yelled. “What the HELL do you think you’re doing?” I rushed into my house after him. It was completely pitch black—he hadn’t even bothered to turn the light on. What a surprise.

            I flicked the lights on and looked around. Where was he? Each room and hallway was empty.

            Suddenly there was a crash, sounding directly above my head. Upstairs.

            I sprinted up the stairs as fast as I could. “A! What was tha—” I froze as I saw a sight that I was not prepared to see. The old brown wooden door at the end of the hallway, which had stayed closed for two years, was now wide open.

            Millions of emotions swarmed through me at that moment. I couldn’t feel. I couldn’t think. I couldn’t see. I didn’t know what was going on. It was all numb.

The sound of A shuffling around inside the room had me pushing all emotion back. He needed to leave. Though tears rimmed my eyes, threatening to fall, I took one cautious step, and then another, toward my dead parents’ room.

When I got there, however, and took one look at the dusty floor, at the source of the crash, I couldn’t push it all back anymore. I screamed.

-------------------------------------

Any ideas on what she saw? :) Please vote and comment!