Chapter 19

"Abby?" He said when he answered my call.

"Kyle," I said, adjusting my phone against my ear. "We need to talk."

"If this is about you and Chad, please don't bring me into this, you guys-"

"Kyle, shut up. This isn't about me and Chad... It's about me and you," I explained, and there was a hesitant pause before he answered.

"Oh."

"Can we meet up? Now?" I asked, and he sighed.

"Yeah, uhm, where?" He asked, and I immediately answered.

"The ice cream shop downtown, in exactly six minutes, if you walk," I said before hanging up without waiting for an answer. I grabbed a jacket and shoved my phone along with some money in my pocket, and checked my neck for my necklace.

I never took it off, but I had to have it, especially for what I had planned.

What do you have planned, You ask?

Wait and see, I answer.

I walked down the sidewalk, rushing to get there in five minutes instead of six. I didn't even know what I was going to say to him.

I opened the door to the ice cream store with a little more force than necessary, and walked inside. A guy about 6 foot tall was standing inside, pacing back and forth. I approached him slowly and we sat down at a table together.

"Hey," I said with a small smile, and he gave me another confused look.

"How did you know how far this place was from my house?" He asked abruptly, and I shook my head a little.

"It's exactly halfway between our houses, we figured this out in like, sixth grade when your mom finally started letting you walk around town by yourself," I answered, remembering when we had spent the enire day walking from our houses to different places around town, and back and forth, again and again.

"How do you know that?" He demanded, raising his voice a little.

"I was there when you finally convinced her," I started. "I was there for everything from fifth grade to the day I left, and I couldn't be there anymore, because you wouldn't pick up the damn phone. I was there for your first baseball tryouts, I was there for your piano recital, I was there when your dad left, and I was there at that party when you left me to get arrested, and then you got in an accident and never called again!" I exclaimed, and he just stared at me in shock.

"What are you talking about? You don't know me," he said, and I grabbed my hair in frustration.

"You said you loved me! You said we were best friends! God, Kyle, you've been in love with the same girl since forever, and I was the only one who knew! WHY DON'T YOU REMEMBER ME?!" I yelled, and a cashier looked up from her phone at us. Kyle grabbed my arm and pulled me outside. I started to speak as soon as we were past the doors, but he kept walking so I followed him to an empty picnic table and sat down.

"Prove it. Prove that we even glanced at each other before you got back," he challenged me.

"Fine! Look, look! My necklace! You gave this to me before we went to that party," I exclaimed, unclasping the chain and dropping it in his hand. He brought the necklace closer to his face, and I sighed.

"Why don't you wear your glasses anymore?" I asked, and he just shook his head and continued examining the locket.

"Okay, what's this?" He asked, looking up from the heart-shaped pendant.

"Open it," I said bluntly, and he did. I watched as the emotions flashed across his face. First, surprise. Then, anger, confusion, and then blank.

"This doesn't prove anything, could've been photoshopped," he said, and I bit on my lip and blinked to hold back tears.

"Kyle, we took that picture on my tenth birthday at the park. You gave the necklace to me on my fifteenth birthday, the day of the party." I said, still struggling to keep in the tears.

"Abby, I didn't know you when I was ten! What the hell! I just met you, like a month ago! Okay?" He started to walk away, but I shouted out at him before he could make it two steps.

"You loved Hailey!" I yelled, and he stopped dead in his tracks. "Hailey Monrose. She was killed September 21st, when we were in eighth grade. You loved her since the first day of preschool, and when she died, you took it hard. You started cutting, you stopped making music, you stopped talking, listening; you stopped living, dammit!" I said, tears slipping from my eyes. Kyle's face relaxed and a much, much different emotion was plastered onto it.

"I started doing drugs, drinking, partying, sneaking out. I did all the things you wouldn't, because I didn't want anything to do with you. You abandoned me, left me alone, then begged for forgiveness a year and a half later, and that just happened to be the night you forgot all about me," I ranted, but Kyle's face stayed exactly the same.

"I'm sorry, Abby," he said, and he held me in a hug. My heart picked up a bit, He remembers me! Then, I paused. No, he didn't. There wasn't that look on his face. The one that said I was his best friend and he loved me and I made everything alright.

That look had burned out a long time ago.

****

After I faked a smile through our goodbyes, I walked home and ran up to my room. I slammed the door shut and slowly turned around as I released a deep breath. I jumped and gasped when I saw a figure sitting on my bed. He stood up and walked towards me, and I stood with my back against the wall. The pleading look on his face was mixed with something else, something like... Lust? Happiness? I didn't have time to find out. He was standing right in front of me. My panting picked up and panic rose up, crawling its way up my throat. Then, he spoke a single word that brought me peace.

"Abigail."

***********************

Little bit of Abby/Kyle for ya lovelies

HELL YEAH

I updated for like once in my life

sorry for the wait guysss

i loVE YOU SO MUCH