Chapter 70. All I Wanted*

Comincia dall'inizio

Nodding and giving a little laugh, the Guardian walked out of my bedroom, followed by Hawk, who now held my precious daughter. Our precious daughter.

Able to turn my full attention to Evan, I stared into her emerald eyes for several moments as we both shed tears of joy. I reached to pull her closer to me, and was reminded by her wince that she was likely still suffering quite a bit.

We both looked down when she pushed aside all that covered her and examined her now flat stomach. The silver duct tape was smeared with drying blood, the edges of her wound that showed through were an angry violet. Evan reached gingerly down and ran her hand over her belly.

"I did a neater job on you," she said, looking up to me with a cocky set to her jaw.

"You had more time and less blood to deal with," I said defensively, laughing at her 'Whatever' look. I carefully lifted her from the bed and carried her to the shower. Getting the water adjusted took only moments, during which I helped Evan peel the filthy shirt off.

"You should clean up too," she suggested, starting to undo the buttons on my shirt.

I still had my gun on my ankle and my sheaths over my shoulders. I slipped the leather off, and unfastened the ankle holster. Evan clung tightly as I held her in one arm. I shimmied from my jeans and let Evan finish unbuttoning my shirt, which I dropped on the floor next to the rest.

"Now this is going to be all business, ma'am. Nothing else. You have a daughter to take care of and c-section to heal from," I scolded as Evan nipped my ear.

"Yes, doctor," she said huskily. "But I'm hungry."

I let out a moan at the thought of Evan at my throat, the rest of my body giving me away as well. She laughed softly.

"I couldn't imagine doing anything more than getting washed up," Evan said. "Don't worry."

"Good."

I stepped into the hot shower and let the water run over us both, washing away the dried blood and gore. Making sure Evan was fully clean, I ran my hands over her body. I knelt down and inspected the tape on her stomach to make sure it was intact. Unable to resist the urge, I wrapped my arms around her and curled my fingers around her bottom, and kissed her ravaged stomach. As I rested my head against her, I looked at the water running down her legs enticingly, and was surprised to see blood mingling with the droplets. I pulled back a bit, expecting to see a gap in her abdominal wound, but instead saw it came from between her legs.

Alarmed, I stood and drew away a few inches. As I opened my mouth to say something to her, Evan said, "Looks like this won't be that much different than other deliveries, huh? I have a theory about this Emil. It involves 'immune privilege'. Did you learn about that in medical school?"

I stared at her blankly.

"I guess not. Anyway, I'll explain it to you sometime. Suffice it to say, the baby protected herself and did not let my uterus be turned when I became a vampire. I saw when she was delivered that my uterus quickly changed. I have a feeling things might get gross again for awhile," Evan explained.

I nodded, understanding what she said. Laughing, I said, "I guess we'll have to send Hawk to the store for feminine products?"

I was rewarded with a wonderful laugh as she wrapped her arms around me. I clung tightly to my wife, never wanting to part from her again. Evan nuzzled into my neck and an erotic charge shot through me when she bit my neck and began to feed from me. It was difficult to suppress my desire, but I managed. Barely. I let her drink until I felt lightheaded, then slipped my hand between her greedy mouth and my neck. She ran her tongue across the punctures she had left when she realized I could give no more.

Evan was still weak, but seemed able to stand on her own, so I left her leaning against the vanity while I went to retrieve clothes for us. While we dressed, I told her of the events of the night. Upon hearing about Arazel, Evan stopped my recounting.

"Arazel is the half human half vampire that Hawk told us about?"

"Yes. His father is the Ancient One, Amahté. They are both strange beings. I feel very badly for Arazel. His father told me to kill him tonight, and he stepped right up against my gun and told me to shoot him. I couldn't do it. He seemed so sad. He actually helped us get away."

"And you didn't bring him here?" Evan cried incredulously.

"No. He stayed behind."

"In a burning club, facing this 'Ancient One' that could light vampires on fire with his eyes?"

Hearing her put it that way, I felt like an ass. Feebly, I nodded. "Sounds bad, doesn't it?"

"Yes, it sounds very bad. Do you think Arazel got away, too?"

"I could not be sure. I'd like to think that a father wouldn't kill his own son, but anything is possible. Amahté is surely insane if he thinks that he can just come into Saint Louis and begin to massacre humans. There are more than just the few Guardians you've met who would oppose him."

Evan was now peering at me intently. "How many more?"

"I don't know, seventy-five to one hundred. It depends on who's traveling currently. We haven't had a coven gathering in quite some time, since peace has prevailed for decades.

I watched as this new information sunk in for Evan.

Helping her pull on some loose pants, I asked, "What are you thinking?"

"Are you in charge of them all now?"

I hadn't really given that much thought, but hearing it put to words, I realized that as the leader of the Guardians I was by proxy the leader of the Mid-Continent Coven. Nodding, I sent her a brief grin.

She shook her head. "I'm never going to get you to myself, am I?"

Crestfallen at her words, I wrapped her in my arms and said, "I'm always yours, whenever you need me. No one else can lay claim to me, except Nathan... and our daughter, whom we have yet to name."

"May I name her?" Evan asked softly.

"Please."

"Michael Grace," she said. "That is her name."

I let the name roll through my head. It was unconventional, but so was the name Evan. I was not sure where she came up with it though, and I asked her that question.

Evan's answer satisfied me deeply. "Michael after the archangel, guardian to all. And Grace, for God's grace at allowing me to have everything I ever dreamed of in my life. You, Nathan, a baby...a family."