title of your story or chapter

up the spaghetti and meatball dinner he’d brought for them. When it was done, he called the little boy, but the kid didn’t budge from the dark corner where he sat, sulking. Geoff put some food on a plate and brought it to him. Todd glanced at Geoff, then at the food, and knocked the plate out of Geoff’s hand.

Geoff stepped back, grinning wryly. “You must get your feistiness from Virginia Kingsley.”

“I don’t like you. I want my mommy.”

“Eat some food and I’ll take you to see Mommy soon.”

Geoff cleaned up the mess and brought Todd more food. The boy grudgingly ate, crying all the time for his mommy. When he was done he curled up on the floor and fell asleep with his thumb in his mouth. Geoff covered him with a blanket and watched him for a while. He could almost have felt sorry for the kid if it weren’t for the cool half million the couple were willing to pay for a healthy son.

He considered tying the kid up. He would have if he’d thought the little guy could have escaped. But he couldn’t. He was too small and too helpless. To make certain the cops didn’t find him, Geoff gently lifted Todd and moved him to a secret room no one would ever be able to find.