title of your story or chapter

Chapter Forty-Nine

As much as he longed to be with Laura, Erich had to get on with his life. When he received an anonymous invitation to a dinner party, he decided to go. Peter and Dorothy, both of whom had been worried about him, were delighted to hear he was going.

He dressed in his best navy blue and white pinstriped suit and wore a red tie, thinking  the color made him look more festive. He didn’t want anyone to know how miserable he felt. Peter and Dorothy were right; it was time he enjoyed life again.

Instead of driving, he took the subway to the Upper East Side townhouse. A maid showed him inside, reminding him of the first time he’d gone to Willow Pond to interview Phillip and Laura. The thought bothered him, and he shook his head like a dog, needing to get Laura out of his mind and heart.

When he walked into the dining room he couldn’t help admiring the natural wood floor and the oval shaped dining room table. An elaborate chandelier hung from the ceiling, illuminating the entire room. The twenty dinner party guests had already arrived, and he was embarrassed when he realized they were waiting for him. He was directed to his seat beside a pretty young woman named Jenny Abbott, who smiled at him when he sat down. He smiled back.

“My father says you’re the best journalist in the country.”

He hadn’t expected that. Whether it were true or not, it was definitely good for his suffering ego. “And what do you say?”

She threw back her head and laughed. “Oh, I always agree with my father. Most people do.”

“Good grief. Who is he?”

“Preston Abbott.”

“The producer? That Preston Abbott?”

“Oh, you know him?” Jenny smiled, nodding. “Not that I’m surprised. Most everyone does.”

“I don’t actually know him. I just know he produced Phillip Austin’s last three movies.”

Phillip Austin again. Erich barely managed not to roll his eyes at his own words. This was one of the few times he’d been out socially since the breakup with Laura. No matter where he went, something always seemed to come up to remind him of her. He wondered if she’d haunt him for the rest of his life. The woman next to him was different from Laura. Lovely though, with her slender figure and large brown eyes.

“Isn’t this delicious?” she said, sipping at her soup.

He found himself admiring the slow grace with which Jenny lifted the spoon to her lips and took a tiny taste.

He dipped his spoon into the thick soup. “I’m not sure if I’ve ever had it before. I don’t even know what it is, for that matter.”

“It’s shrimp bisque. Taste it. It’s delicious.”

“Shrimp bisque? That explains it. A reporter doesn’t make enough money to—”

“My father says having a lot of money can be annoying at times.”

“I wouldn’t mind being annoyed that way.”

Jenny blushed. “I’m sorry. I must sound like a spoiled, overindulged little rich girl.”

“No. Yes. But that’s okay. When you do it, it’s charming. Fresh and natural.” It was true. She was enchanting.

Two waiters came to take their soup plates away, then brought the second course: stuffed artichokes. Erich was glad he knew what the food was this time and how to eat it. He hated the thought of making a fool of himself in front of all these people.