title of your story or chapter

Chapter Fifty-One

Kingsley’s opened in London on September 17th, 1931. At a quarter to nine, a white Rolls Royce pulled up to the curb. Laura stepped out and made her way into the club.

Once inside, she slipped out of her full-length ermine mink coat and looked around. Two of Kingsley’s walls were painted white, and the other two were black. The dance floor was black and white marble and the tables and chairs alternated in black and white. The decorator had even gone so far as to ensure the black tables had white accessories and vice versa.

Every eye went to Laura. Her strapless red velvet evening gown was a sharp contrast to the stark decor of the club, and the lights shone on the curve of her golden chignon, sparking off the tasteful diamond earrings and matching pendant hanging around her slender neck.

All Laura saw was Erich. Their eyes met and in that second there was no one in the room but the two of them. She wanted more than anything to be alone with him, just to see him, talk to him, touch him. Then his beautiful young wife said something and he looked away from Laura. She’d known Erich had gotten married, but … Seeing them together made her feel ill with regret. She’d lost him forever, and it was her own fault for being so stupid, for refusing to see him for so long. What a fool she had been. A stubborn, stupid fool.

The band began to play “Night and Day” and Erich got up to dance with his wife. Laura couldn’t take her eyes off them. Every so often Erich glanced over at Laura, squeezing anguish through her heart. After three dances, the couple went back to their table and Virginia appeared, pouring champagne for herself and Laura.

“It’s wonderful to see you, Laura,” Virginia said. She followed Laura’s gaze and took a deep breath, then let the air out slowly. “Why don’t you go over and say something to him? It’s obvious he still has feelings for you.”

“Aunt Virginia, he’s a married man, and I know it’s my fault he married her. I’ve lost him, and there’s nothing I can do about it.”

“Oh, yes there is. You could tell him about Rachel. Don’t you think that would make a difference to him?”

Laura studied her aunt. “I’m curious. What is he doing here?”

“He’s working in London and I—”

“You did this on purpose, didn’t you? You did it again.” Laura shook her head. “You planned for the two of us to be here so we could reunite. Well, I’m telling you it isn’t going to work.”

Virginia grinned. “We’ll see about that. Speaking of which, did you bring any pictures of the baby?”

Laura nodded and handed her two photographs of five-month-old Rachel.

Virginia smiled fondly at the pictures. “She looks just like him, Laura. Especially her eyes. They’re so blue. You won’t be able to keep the secret from him much longer. As soon as he sees her, he’ll know. Everyone will know.”

Laura glanced over at Erich. “Rachel also has a lot of Todd’s sweetness.”

“Too bad you didn’t bring her with you,” Virginia said, grinning. “I have gifts for her.”

Laura chuckled. “I bet you do. I just thought she’d be better off at home with Mrs. Nickerson, though I’ve been terribly nervous about leaving her. I call home two or three times a day just to check that she’s okay.”

The film director, Richard Hamilton, who had worked with Phillip in the past, came by her table and greeted her with a kiss. Laura turned and noticed Erich’s wife, Jenny, walking toward their table. Erich was right behind his wife, his blue eyes focused on Laura. Laura couldn’t look away. Her heart raced. Jenny chatted happily with Richard, who had also worked with her father. She was oblivious to her husband’s distracted gaze.