Chapter 18 - [Return]

Start from the beginning

My throats was dry, "Ram still has you lifting heavy pots of water?"

"It has to be done."

I looked at the four guards who followed me around. They gave me a nod and a bow before turning and walking off.

I walked over to Chione and grabbed the pot from her.

"You don't-"

"It's fine," I said as I walked with the pot. "The stables isn't too far from here."

"Arius... people will see," she started as she rushed after me.

"And they will call me the generous prince who is helping a helpless maid."

She gave me a silly look which made me chuckle.

And yes. People did see. But I didn't really care. All I was doing was carrying a pot.

When we reached the stables, all the men bowed low, including Ram. "My Pharaoh," he said.

"How are you doing, Ram?"

"Well, My pharaoh."

"Your wife and child?"

"They are well too. Thank you for asking."

I smiled. "Good," I said. "Now I must question why you make Chione carry such heavy pots?"

Ram chuckled, hearing the humor in my question. "To keep her humble," he said.

Chione chuckled and my smile grew. "Good enough, I suppose."

"Now I must ask why the Prince of Egypt is doing her job for her?"

"To keep myself humble, of course." I bowed my head slightly as Ram laughed.

"Well, that was all I wanted from Chione for today, so I suppose she can head out with you."

"Excellent," I said. "I did have some work I wanted her to do for me."

"Good luck," Ram said to Chione before winking at me.

Chione smiled.

At this point, any attempt to be logical about my feelings had vanished. I had completely forgotten about my attempt to separate myself from her.

"Do you actually have something you'd like me to do?" She asked as she followed me away from the stable.

I hesitated and then shook my head. "No," I said. "I just wanted you to come somewhere with me."

"Where?"

I hesitated again. I actually didn't have any place in mind. But as I tried to think of something to say, I stopped walking.

"Ram!" I called.

The man looked up at me. "Yes, my Prince."

"I need Neshny."

Ram hesitated. "I... um... I haven't prepared him–"

"It's fine," I said. "A saddle is enough."

Ram nodded, grabbing my saddle and preparing the suddenly excited looking Neshny. Once Ram handed me the reins, I climbed up onto my steed and held my hand out for Chione.

"What..."

"Come on," I said. "Pharaoh's orders."

She looked at me oddly, but after a moment of contemplation, she grabbed my hand. I lifted her up onto Neshny and within a moment, we were off.

Chione