chapter six | maddie

⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀I walk out of the bathroom satisfied

⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀I walk out of the bathroom satisfied. I had successfully made Chloe Lukasiak cry, once again.
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀"Uh, hey Mads, don't you think that's was maybe a little much?" My best friend Kendall questions. "What do you mean!" I hiss. "I-uh I don't know, just maybe telling someone to kill themselves is a little far, that's all." She shrugs. "Oh shut up Kendall!" I snap, "what do you know anyway" I add, rolling my eyes.
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Maybe you're wondering how I got like this. This, cold. How could a little girl grow up to be this monster. What happened to her, to me. What stopped my heart from beating and beating and made it suddenly freeze, what turned it to ice?
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀When I was a very small child I was happy, very happy. I had the whole world in my hands, with a very loving family. That's how it should've stayed. How I wish it had stayed. When I was still an infant my father fell ill, extremely ill. And it wasn't too long after my second birthday that he passed. I was so young at the time and the situation was hard for me to grasp, understand. I was confused. Where had daddy gone?
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀I guess my mother still wanted to keep me happy. At the time, I think she thought she was doing what was best for me. But little did she or I know it was the worst decision she could ever make. She remarried. We gave away our family business and moved away. I was only five at the time and remarrying had given my mother somewhat hope, hope that I would have some sort of father figure, a man of the house, someone to look up to.
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀But this man would be of no father figure to me. He would often, very quietly hit me or beat me and threaten me not to tell my mom. I was so young, I was confused. I had no idea what was going on, or how badly this would escalate.
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀I was nine when the car crash happened. It was fatal, killing my mother and leaving me with my step father. After my mother was gone the beating got worse and worse, and he no longer had to hide it. He often left me with huge gashes and bruises.
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀But believe it or not, this wasn't and isn't the worst part. The worst part is both my parents are dead. D E A D. Meaning I will never get to see them again, touch them again, hug them again. My mother wasn't there to be excited for my first date, she won't be here to comfort me with my first heart break. My father isn't here to make sure a boy is good enough for me, and he won't be here to walk me down the isle. I haven't heard my parents say 'I love you' to me in years. And I was never going to hear them say it, ever again. That. That's what really broke me.
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀It was then when I was eleven that my step father decided we should move back to the town in which him and my mother met. The town in which I had lived my first five years and the town in which my father had died.
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀That's where I started attending middle school. Nobody knew who I was. I was the new girl. So instead of going by my full name, Madison, I decided to go by Maddie. It was like a fresh start, a new me. Of course it didn't change anything at home, but at school everything was different. I could dictate things, I ruled the school, I still rule the school. I held a certain power that was lost at home.
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀And I loved it.
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
[a/n so here is Maddie's backstory, poor Mads :( I actually love Maddie's character sm though ahaha]