"Of course we remember her, don't we Albus?" He turned to his sulky friend who slid into the chair next to him, ignoring the question.

Albus leaned back in the chair casually, reached into his back, and retrieved a book. Jenny rolled her eyes at the cover, which read You're Not Alone: How to Live With A Huge Penis.

Scorpius nudged his friend. "Al, do you really think now's the right time to catch up on your reading?"

Albus licked a finger as he turned a page. "Absolutely, it is." He coughed and nudged his head to the left. Scorpius followed the gesture to find Monica standing at the bar, looking at the four of them with narrowed eyes. She disguised a laugh as her eyes fell on Albus.

"You should go talk to her."

Albus's attention would not be diverted from his book. "Nah." He turned another page. "Don't you need me here?"

Scorpius flushed red and chanced a glance at Rose, who observed the two boys with confusion. He dropped his voice to a whisper. "If I strike out, it'll be on me. It shouldn't keep you from chatting up the girl you like."

Albus sighed as he shut his book. "K." He sauntered over to Monica, grinning as he took in her lace up leather boots and black nail polish. Like many Slytherin girls, she experimented with a slightly punkish look. Unlike many Slytherin girls, she actually pulled it off. With her flared skirt and large green eyes she reminded him of one of those portraits of a punk fairy propped up on a giant mushroom.

"Hey," he said.

"Hey."

The two stood in comfortable silence for a few moments. Albus pointed to her feet. "I like your boots."

"Thanks."

Another stretch of non-awkward silence passed. This is why Albus liked Monica—she never gave the impression that he made her uncomfortable. Sure she might act like she didn't like him, but he'd rather have that any day than yet another person who looked at him like he was the Unabomber.

"That book you were reading looked hilarious."

He shrugged. "I don't know what you're talking about. It's a serious self-help manual for men who suffer in silence."

Monica smirked. "You're the weirdest person I've ever met."

He nodded. "I get that a lot."

She rolled her eyes. "You came over here to talk to me because you like me, right?"

Albus's eyes widened. This was quite new. What was this...odd sensation he felt? Hmm. Very interesting. Was it...could it be...social tension? Huh. So this is what most people felt when they spoke to him?

It wasn't really that bad. People can be such wimps.

He pursed his lips. "Well, this social interaction really isn't going the way I rehearsed in the shower."

_________________________________________

Rose and Scorpius smiled shyly at one another from across the table, each tucking into their butterbeers in an attempt to hide their blushing faces. Jenny rolled her eyes and began looking around the room for other people she knew.

"So," Rose said. "We haven't studied together in a while."

Scorpius bit his lip. "Yeah, I'm sorry about that. I've had detention every day for the past couple of weeks."

"Oh, right. Because of the fight."

"Yeah."

There was a moment of awkward silence between them. They each attempted to quell the tension by taking a quick sip of their beverage.