CHAPTER TWENTY-ONE

Začít od začátku

Wimbley's expression became serious, "Ace, I know naught of the keeping of race horses." Miss Benning graced him with a sad smile, "Aye, but I will find you a proven horse master and you should have Mr. Ford with you. The horses will be of little difficulty, the challenge will be in the managing of the property and I have faith that you and LaCroix can put the estate back to rights." "LaCroix," exclaimed Wimbley. "Of course, the position would require the both of you and so you see the imposition is great." Wimbley's shock gave way to a small grin, "great indeed." Miss Benning stood, "So, you will talk to LaCroix and let me know your decision? It is country Ireland after all, not the streets of Paris." Wimbley laughed, "Aye, I will present your offer to LaCroix and we shall hand you an answer before the week's end."

~

The elder Donal stood at the railing of the paddock, his arm draped casually over a rail as she approached. "How is William?" He could see the answer written on her face. "He is not improved. The apothecary says his weakness is allowing the illness to progress at a faster rate." "Ah Ace I am dreadfully sorry of that news. I shall visit him this evening." "He would like that very much Niall." She took a deep breath to stifle the emotions clawing at the back of her throat, "You have something to show me?" The man nodded and called over his shoulder. A few moments later a stable hand came from the shadows of the barn leading Atlas. Miss Benning's eyes widened, her mouth dropped slightly as she looked from the horse to Donal. Donal grinned widely as he opened the gate for her to enter.

"Heavens what is this?" she exclaimed as she drew closer to the horse. "This is William's saddle," said Donal with pride. "His saddle," remarked Miss Benning to herself as she drew her hands across the contraption. "Oh! Niall you did it. You brought to life Mr. Donal's idea." The older man laughed, "Aye, well it wasn't too difficult as my son learnt from myself." Still examining the monstrous contraption she exclaimed, "Do you really think it will work?" Donal took the horse's reins and nodded to the stable hand. The man brought a stool from the corner of the paddock and climbed into the seat on the horse's back. "Here, you see, once William is aboard we shall strap him in like this." Donal began securing a series of straps around the stable hand's body. Once he was done he pushed on the man at several levels, "Sturdy see? And William still has use of his left arm so we have taught Atlas here to guide one-handed, watch." They stepped back from the horse. The stable hand took up the reins in his left hand, clucked to the stallion and guided him around the paddock with ease. "Oh! it is brilliant," exclaimed Miss Benning. "Aye and we've been working with Atlas for the past week, he is as safe as a nag from the field." Miss Benning turned and threw her arms around the older man's neck. He stiffened in surprise then wrapped his own around her, warmth coursing through him. "Oh! Niall how can I ever thank you." He pushed her to arm's length and wiped away the tears streaming down her cheeks, "By getting the boy on that horse."

~

Mrs. Cavinet had been overjoyed when she completed her review of Viscountess Snodgrass's invitation to lunch the day before. She was greeted warmly when she entered the Snodgrass parlor. The Viscountess was resplendent in dress, her skin a glowing milky white and her locks extravagantly poised atop her head. After the ladies situated themselves Mrs. Cavinet complimented the Viscountess on her grandeur. "Oh! Mrs. Cavinet do not fuss. It is what is expected of my station in such company, after all, I would not go in public in these old things but whilst at home I do indulge in comfort." Mrs. Cavinet was momentarily taken back at her hostess' response but was soon enraptured once more as she nibbled a cake and drank lovely Indian tea.

"Lady Snodgrass it is so lovely to see you. I have been so longing for company since you and Mrs. Whitehouse quit London. Where exactly did you travel?" The Viscountess waved away Mrs. Cavinet's words as though they were a fly, "Oh! never mind that. I must share with you some grave news of our mutual acquaintances the Whitehouses." Mrs. Cavinet looked at the lady in confusion, "the Whitehouses?" "Yes Mrs. Cavinet, do keep up." The Viscountess sat her cup on the table and addressed her clothing before she continued, "They are separating, legally." Mrs. Cavinet gasped, "That cannot be." The corner of the Viscountess' mouth drew up.