One

"Yuuri! It's time to get up!" A voice calls from downstairs. I groan. It's the first day of a new school, meaning I won't know who to avoid! So much fun...

 I should probably explain. Everyone is born with a pair of wings tattooed onto their back. When they meet their soulmate, the tattoo morphs into a full pair of wings. I had mine morph when I was really young, so I don't remember who my soulmate is. The only clue that I have is that I haven't seen them since that day. That isn't why I'm teased, though. You see, in order for your wings to grow properly, you have to interact with your soulmate. Since I haven't... well, they basically look like they got caught in a fire. Just marred chunks of flesh left out to dry too long. 

I get up and check the mirror. Nope, still no sign of growth. Great...

Thankfully, my mom has bought me an abundance of cloths with hoods that cover my wings. I slip one of these said shirts on. My mom also convinced the school I didn't need to take PE since I skated over 5 hours each week, which is amazing. The only problem is, you guessed it, bullies. Somehow, no matter where I go, someone knows about this predicament of mine. The first week or so is normally alright, though. Still, someone always finds out and always tells. 

I look at my outfit. I'm wearing a green shirt with a hood that's slightly baggy and a pair of black skinny jeans. I'm also wearing maroon Converse. After giving myself a thorough look through, I smile, satisfied with how I look, and run downstairs.

"Here's some breakfast! Have a good day at school!" My mom hands me a granola bar and practically shoves me out the door. I smile to myself. Just like my mom. I hurry to school. I don't want to be late on the first day!

~~~~~~~~~~~

"Yuuri!" I hear a voice shout. I turn around to see Yuuko. She skates in the same rink as me. I smile and walk over to her.

"Hi, Yuuko!" I say, smiling brightly. Immediately she engages me in a conversation about who's cool and who's not at this school. It's nice to have someone like that as a friend. Suddenly, I feel a tingling sensation in my wings. I try to ignore it and listen to Yuuko. Just as it becomes unbearable, it stops. 

Huh. That was weird, I think. Maybe my soulmate is near? No, that's almost impossible. After all, if they're this close to me now, I surely would have bumped in to them by now, right? I shake my head and continue to listen to Yuuko, who doesn't even notice my strange behavior. Hopefully I'll figure it out soon.

~~~~~~~~~~

The bell rings as I get up and walk to my next class, science. Yuuko said I'll be put with a partner here, so hopefully I'll get to know this other person. Yuuko isn't in this class, so I'm kinda really scared. You see, because of this whole wing thing, I have developed a severe case of social anxiety.

I sigh as I step in to the room. When the teacher notices me, she hands me a slip of paper that has 3 written on it. Without looking up, I walk over to the table with a 3 on it. My partner hasn't arrived yet, so I give myself a pep talk, saying that it won't be too bad, and if it is, I can tell my mom who can get the teacher to move me. I decide to risk looking around. As I do, I notice a boy walking through the door. He has blond hair and a menacing look in his eyes. I gulp and look down. Nope. No more looking around.

Suddenly, I feel the tingling again. Overcome with curiosity, I look up. There, standing next to the blond haired boy is another boy. His hair is long and silver and he looks quite good natured. He laughs at something the boy says, and I can't help but notice how his soft pink lips look beautiful with his sharp blue eyes. Suddenly, he looks around and catches me staring at him. I look down, but before I do, I can see him smiling a bright smile in my direction. The tingling becomes stronger, but I don't mind it as much. I'm still thinking about that boy. I know it's kinda strange to say, but he's... beautiful. There's simply no other way to say it.