4

Alex blinked her eyes as sun streamed through her bedroom window. She rubbed her face groggily and stretched her arms, only to feel her elbow brush lightly against a solid form next to her on the bed. Suddenly wide awake, she found herself awash in memories of the night before, rutting against Maggie on the couch until they both orgasmed. She felt her face heat up in a blush as she remembered the filthy things her girlfriend had rasped into her ear. She felt her inner muscles clench and the now-familiar buzz of arousal between her legs, but she looked at Maggie so peaceful and asleep, a relaxed smile gracing her elegant face. Alex willed herself not to move too abruptly. She didn’t dare disturb the girl she loved.

Instead, Alex moved as stealthily as possible across the bed and snuggled in behind Maggie, big spoon-little spoon style. Like almost everything she did with the dark-haired beauty, this was new for Alex too. She had dreamed of the chance to lie next to Maggie, to hold her and feel her warmth. An altogether new sense of fierce protectiveness welled up inside Alex, and she felt her heart expand. Okay, maybe it was a little like what she felt sometimes for her sister Kara, but a whole different dimension of that emotion, mixed with the unique devotion and raw desire she felt for Maggie. It filled Alex with awe and power at the same time. She wanted to hold Maggie like this… forever, wanted to do whatever she could to make this woman happy, to shield her from life’s turmoil. Alex felt her chest well up with pride and her eyes with – oh not again – tears. Of joy, and just… intense feeling. But she measured her breathing. Anything not to wake up Maggie from the rest this overworked cop needed more than a bunch of cheesy feelings right now.

Alex had no idea how long they remained like that, but she savored it. Every pleasure with Maggie, big or small, opened up a new doorway for Alex, and she was profoundly grateful to this girl in her arms for it all. She was really starting to feel she would do anything for Maggie, up to and including risk her own life. And that was not out of the realms of possibility in both of their lines of work. There really could be a situation in which she could be responsible for Maggie’s very life, not just her heart. Hell, she already had been in that situation before they were together-together. The immensity of both scared her sometimes. The possibility of their happiness scared her too. What if that could be snatched away in an instant? She pushed that notion away. She had to. Right now they had this. She focused on this moment’s joy.

The smell of Maggie’s hair and the remainder of their mingled desire from the night before still lingering on Maggie’s warm skin combined to intoxicate Alex more and more, the longer she held her girlfriend close. She found she couldn’t stave off her body’s response to the intimate contact. The pulsing sensation between her legs hadn’t subsided, even as she had tried to remain as still as possible. Involuntarily, she pulled Maggie’s soft body in closer to hers, as if hoping they would meld into one another.

“I’m awake, you know.” Maggie’s words startled Alex.

“Oh no. I’m sorry. You looked so pretty sleeping. I didn’t want to disturb you.”

“It’s hard to sleep with you so close.”

“What?” Alex felt a pang of rejection, hoping that wasn’t what it sounded like.

“Oh no. Not like that. I mean it’s really hard to not get turned on with you so close to me.” To emphasize her words, Maggie ground her backside into Alex’s center.

“Oh god.” Alex pulled her girlfriend closer and wrapped her leg around Maggie so she could gain more friction. “Oh god that feels good.” Maggie responded by grinding harder into Alex.

“You like this, do you, Danvers?”

“What’s… not… to like?” Alex realized she was more or less humping Maggie’s ass now. She realized she did not care how ridiculous this probably was. Was this even a thing people did? She had no idea.