Alex was jolted out of her reverie by the knock. Finally.

Her anxious thoughts dissipated the second she opened the door to Maggie. She would never tire of the sight of this beautiful girl in her hot leather jacket, motorcycle helmet in tow. In her other arm Maggie carried a nice bottle of white wine.

“Let me get those for you.” Alex set the wine on the table, the helmet and jacket on an empty dining chair. She turned back around to look at Maggie again. Her girlfriend wore a flannel shirt and jeans in a masculine cut that still managed to show off her compactly muscular but curvy figure. God.

“Hi, baby.” Maggie smiled her generous smile and extended her arms. Alex’s body propelled itself into them with magnetic force. She buried her face in Maggie’s neck, inhaling her scent, unable to stop herself from planting kisses everywhere her lips found exposed skin. She pulled Maggie’s shirt aside a little to pepper her shoulder, then her neck and collarbone, then her chin and the side of her face, followed by a slow, gentle but earnest, searching kiss to her lips.

“Um, wow.” Maggie exhaled audibly. “That was,” she exhaled again, “damn… what a nice welcome.” She shook her head back and forth a couple of times as if to snap herself back into reality. “Well now, I guess I’ll have to show you how much I missed you too.”

Maggie leaned back in and took Alex’s bottom lip in both of hers and worked it with her lips and tongue, slowly, sensuously, then released it, only to do the same with Alex’s top lip. Alex caught onto the game and did the same with Maggie’s bottom lip, completely losing herself in Maggie’s gorgeous, succulent lips for one glorious moment. And for now at least, Alex was sated. This felt like enough, like home, like everything she had ever needed.

And it was. Until she heard – or rather sensed – tiny moans coming from Maggie. It was then that she realized Maggie wanted her too. God. And there it was again. The pulsing between her legs. Alex had managed to control so much about her life, but this aching need? This was way beyond her control. And Maggie’s too, apparently. She hadn’t, until this moment, fully appreciated that Maggie might actually want her just as badly, that Maggie’s body could well be doing the same things as hers.

They separated, and Alex peered at Maggie a little sheepishly, “Hey, uh, I really hate to stop this. Like I reallyreally hate to stop this, but I made a nice dinner, and maybe we can eat before it gets cold this time, unlike Pizza Night.” She smiled, as much to herself as at Maggie, thinking of Pizza Night.

“Everything certainly smells great. Anything I can do to help?”

“Yes, thanks. Here, can you open the wine?” Alex handed Maggie a corkscrew. “And my phone’s hooked up to those speakers over there. You can put on whatever music you want.”

Maggie made quick work of the cork and poured a couple of glasses. Then she set Spotify to a Motown station. “So do you set the table like this every night?”

“No, only for lady callers I’m trying to impress.” Alex winked.

“You getting a lot of lady callers these days, Miss?” Maggie faked a reasonable John Wayne voice.

Alex joined in with an exaggerated Western damsel. “No, sheriff. I swear. Please don’t arrest me. Who’ll take care of the homestead?”

Maggie switched back to her normal voice and wiggled her eyebrows suggestively. “Well, I am a police officer. So I actually do have hand restraints with me at all times.”

“And I walked right into that one, didn’t I? Although I am a DEO agent, so I also…” Alex realized what she was saying and felt her whole head heat up and probably redden like a beet.