Chapter 3

Belle's POV:

When my feet hit the ground again I fall backwards on the stairs. I groan as I sit up. As I walk up the steps Gwen is already ringing the door bell once again. "In a hurry are you?" Mr. Bernard asks us. "You may not be but we are." Gwen says, grabbing my arm. 

"Excuse us, we've just forgotten something." Gwen says, racing up the stairs. I look at a clock on the wall. We've been gone 20 minutes. "I thought you already left my loves. Anyway, I'm glad you're here. Gwyneth, there's something I forgot to tell you."

"Buy the same sorbet lemons not the sugar free once, the packaging looks just the same, but don't buy the sugar free, the give me diarrhea." Great Aunt Maddie says. "Aunt Maddie, why is everyone so sure Charlotte and Carmella have the gene?" Gwen asks. 

"Because- Oh ask me something simpler would you?" She asks. She just looks confused now. "Have they tested their blood? Couldn't others have the same gene as well?" I ask. "Oh Charlotte and Carmella are defiantly gene carriers." Aunt Maddie says. 

"Because it's been found in their DNA?" Gwen asks. "Oh little angels, you two are asking the wrong person. I was always useless in Biology, I don't even know what DNA is. I was never any good at maths either."

"Anything about numbers and formulas go straight in one ear and out the other. I can only say that Charlotte and Carmella came out the day that was lucky for them hundreds of years ago." She says. "So your date of birth decides if you're a carrier then?" I ask. 

"You have it backwards. The gene decides when the carriers are born." She says. "Suppose they made a mistake." I say. "They didn't make a mistake my beauty. If it's one thing these people are good at, it's arithmetic." She says. "Anyone can make a mistake now and then." I say. 

Great Aunt Maddie laughs. "Not Sir Isaac Newton I'm afraid." She says. Newton? How do we have it then? I mean, there is no way Newton could have gotten the numbers wrong. Many questions are swirling around in my head at this point. 

"My dear children, I understand your curiosity, when I was your age I was just the same. But one thing, it's sometimes better not to know all the answers. And for another, I really, really would like my sorbet lemons." Great Aunt Maddie says. "None of this makes any sense." Gwen says. 

"That's only how it looks." Great Aunt Maddie says, patting our hands. "Even if you're no wiser than you were before, this conversation must stay private. If your Grandmother finds out I told you, she'd be furious. And when she's furious she's even worse than usual." Aunt Maddie says.

"I won't say anything Aunt Maddie." Gwen says. "Me neither. Come on Gwen, we'll go get your sorbet lemons now." I say, dragging my sister away from our Aunt. "You two are good children." Aunt Maddie says. Gwen rips herself out of my grip. 

"Just one more question. How long after gene carriers have first traveled back in time do they do it again?" She asks. Aunt Maddie sighs. "Please." Gwen says, pleads. I step back towards Aunt Maddie, anxious to hear her answer. 

"I don't think there are any rules. Every gene carrier is different. But non of them can fix the times for themselves. The travel is uncontrolled. It can happen every day, sometimes several times a day. That's why the Chronograph is so important." Great Aunt Maddie says. 

My eyes widen. Chronograph? "With it's help, I imagine, Charlotte and Carmella won't be flung helplessly around in time. They can be sent to times that aren't very different, so nothing can harm them. So don't worry about your cousins." Aunt Maddie finishes. 

Honestly I was more worries about Gwen and myself. "Then when the gene carrier is in the past, how long is she gone in the present?" I ask. "And when they go back a second time could it be back to the dinosaurs when there were nothing but swamps around here?" Gwen asks. 

I want to smack her. Why ask about the second time? "That's enough Gwyneth, Mariana. I have no more idea than the two of you." She says. "Thanks for answering our questions anyway, you've been a great help." I say, pulling Gwen towards the stairs. 

"I don't think so, I have a dreadful guilty conscience. I should not be satisfying your curiosity. Basically since I'm not supposed to know about any of it myself." I smile at her weakly. I feel sort of bad that we're making her tell us this.

"In the old days when I used to ask my dear brother, that's your grandfather, about all these secrets, he'd tell me the same thing, The less you know, the better for your health. Now, are you going to get me my sorbet lemons, and not the sugar free kind, remember." Aunt Maddie says. 

"Yes, come on Gwen." I say, pulling her back down towards the door. We walk down the stairs and out the door. "I don't know what to think Gwenny." I say as we leave the house. "Me neither Belle, should we tell mum about this?" She asks. 

"Not yet, maybe tomorrow. It could have been a fluke. Maybe we only travel back once. If it happens again we'll tell her, ok?" I ask. "Ok." She says. We continue our way to the store and buy Aunt Maddie's lemons. 

We make it back to the house without zapping back in time so that is good. The whole time at the store and on the way back Gwen fills Leslie in on what happened to us. She even had our friend search up a guy called Gideon De Villes. I zoned them out most of the time. 

When we get home Gwen hangs up. "I'm gonna wait for mum to get home so I can talk to her. What are you going to do?" She asks me. "I think I'll go to my room and get some rest." I say. "But you haven't had anything to eat." She tells me. 

"I know, I'm not hungry. I also really want to finish my book that I just got. Goodnight Gwen." I say. "Night Belle." She says. I quickly make my way upstairs and into my room. I take a short shower and then change into leggings and a T-shirt. 

I throw my hair into a messy bun and take out my contacts, slipping my glasses on. Once my face is washed and my teeth are brushed I go back into my room and grab the book I've been reading lately. Sitting under the covers on my bed I open my book and begin to read. 

About an hour later I decide I'm tired so I close my book and turn off my lights. Taking off my glasses I close my eyes and drift off into a dreamless sleep.