Twenty

Chapter Twenty

*~*~*~*

My jaw was locked as Camille led the way into Magnus' loft, knowing just how much she had toyed with him over the centuries. Yet, she dared to walk into his loft as soon as he opened the door, as though she owned the place.

"So, Magnus, how long has it been?" She asked, glancing around the living room. "One hundred? One hundred fifty years?"

"One hundred and thirty-eight." Magnus corrected her. "Oddly, I haven't missed you."

"Of course you have, my love." She smirked as I felt Isabelle's hand wrap around my own, knowing just how much I hated the vampire in front of us. Though it did provide me with a small comfort to see only annoyance filling Magnus' expression from her words.

"All right, you two can catch up later." Clary cut into their conversation. "Right now, we need to find the Book of the White."

"And you will, but not without payment." Camille reminded us before looking back at Magnus again. "You of all people should understand that."

"Of course." Magnus nodded. "And what is it you require?"

"A clean slate." Camille stated simply.

"She wants a Writ of Turning-Me-Into-A-Vampire." Simon spoke up.

"And we need you to draft it." Clary added.

"I thought I was done with you." Magnus gave a small tut, narrowing his eyes slightly at the woman before him.

"We'll never be done with each other." Camille shook her head, a smile filling her red painted lips.

"I'm gonna call for backup." Isabelle told Clary before looking at me. "Come with?"

"Yeah," I spared one more glance towards Magnus before I followed my sister out the front door, into the hallway outside his loft. I watched as she called Alec, informing him of the situation and telling him where to meet us. Once she was done, she turned her attention back to me, worry clouding her dark eyes.

"Are you okay?" She finally asked after nearly ten minutes of silence had passed between us.

"I'm fine." I assured her. "I just really hate that woman. After all she's done to us, to Simon, she's just going to be able to walk away free. It isn't right. She should be held accountable, have to pay for her actions. If she gets away with this, what's the point of the law?"

"Are you sure Joseph didn't rub off on you?" She chuckled.

"Trust me, it's not me that he's rubbing off on." I gave a small shake of my head.

"What do you mean?" Her brows furrowed.

"Nothing," I said as I spotted Alec making his way down the hall.

"What's going on?" He asked us immediately.

"Come on," Isabelle nodded towards the door before we all headed back into Magnus' loft. As we stepped into the living room though, I felt my eyes widen, spotting Camille and Magnus kissing, only breaking apart as my siblings joined us in the room while Clary and Simon were nowhere in sight.

"Well, this is awkward." Magnus cleared his throat as he looked our way.

"Where's the book?" Alec asked when I remained silent.

"It's complicated." Magnus chuckled nervously.

"Clearly." Alec spoke dryly.

"I have it." Camille spoke up.