Five

Five

*~*~*~*

"I still don't understand. How can Shadowhunters be better than... than what you people call mundanes?" Clary asked once we'd gotten back to the Institute. All of us eager to come up with a plan to rescue Simon from the vampires, well, most of us.

"Because we protect humans," Isabelle told her.

"You're right," Clary nodded as she turned around, giving Isabelle a cold look. "Humans. You protect humans. You left Simon all alone in the van. Great job, guys. You rock."

"Clary," I sighed, unsure of what to say. She was right, we were supposed to protect Simon and we'd failed. Now one of my best friends was gone, his life in the hands of vampires. Something that never would've happened if I had stuck to my duties rather than running off to pretend to be a mundane.

"There is some truth to the idea that human beings should have a modicum of common sense." Alec spoke up.

"Alec, not now." Isabelle shot our brother a glare.

"Look, they won't do anything to Simon." Jace tried to reassure Clary. "They just wanted to draw you out. They want the Cup, and they think you have it."

"But why do they think that? Why does anyone think that?" Clary shook her head. "What, my mom lies to me my entire life except, "Oh, by the way, there's this magic cup, I hid on, like, the planet Bongo, but don't tell anyone." What am I supposed to do now?"

"We have to report to the Clave." Alec said automatically.

"Great," Jace rolled his eyes.

"They have to know we've learned about Valentine," Alec insisted.

"What, that he's my father?" Clary frowned as she looked around at all of us. "Great. Fine. Tell them. What good does that do Simon?"

"Clary, it's all connected. The vamps want the Cup," Jace reminded her.

"Why?" Clary asked. "It makes new Shadowhunters."

"Nobody wants Valentine forming an army loyal to himself." Alec told her.

"Plus, it controls demons," I added.

"They'll propose a trade. Simon for the Cup," Jace said.

"So, vampires will trade Simon for the Cup and Valentine will trade my mother for the Cup." Clary summed up. "Either way, I lose someone I love."

"I'm not going to let Simon or Jocelyn get hurt, Clary," I promised her. "You're not losing anybody."

"What if I just toss it up in the air and let them fight it out among themselves?" Clary suggested.

"So this doesn't matter to you?" Alec asked, failing to sense the redhead's sarcasm.

"Yes, of course, it matters!" Clary said before she looked at Jace. "Listen... when you saved my life... I put my trust in you. Now, I need you to put your trust in me. I can't turn into what you are overnight."

"It's true," Isabelle agreed. "She was raised as a mundane."

"What are you, her spokesman now?" Alec rolled his eyes.

"Will you just shut up, Alec?" I snapped at him.

"I don't need a spokesman, I need a plan." Clary said before Alec and I could start arguing. We all followed her as she walked out into the main area, looking around at all the different monitors and computers. "Uh, look at all this stuff, these screens. I mean, can any of this help me find Simon? Where is he, anyway? Some kind of crypt in Transylvania?"