Well-Meaning Deceit (George Weasley)

Start from the beginning

Thankfully there were no giant canaries running around the shop and after cleaning the broken glass away and checking that none of the children were hurt, I returned to the counter.

"So?" Bill said when George approached him. He was clearly in the middle of convincing him to do something, "You're going to come round to the burrow aren't you? You know that mum wants everyone to be there; that includes the girlfriend you've kept hidden for a while."

George rubbed at the back of his neck and I rung up the products and silently wondered when George had started dating.

"I don't know Bill -"

"You told mum you'd bring her with you," Bill reminded him, "Merlin George, you'd better bring her with you or else she'll end up sending me here to check on you again."

"Fine, fine." He rolled his eyes, "Now, are you going to buy anything or leave the shop?"

"Alright, dear brother," Bill teased as he leaned across the counter and reached out to ruffle George's hair, "I'll leave you alone. Remember to get there on time or she'll send someone after you."

As Bill left the store, he silently waved goodbye to me and I turned back to George who was staring contemplatively at his brother's back. I nudged him in the side, bringing him from his contemplation. Without a word, he took over for me and started to deal with the customers.

"You shouldn't be so serious," I remarked casually, leaning my back against the counter as I watched him closely. "It doesn't suit you. George Weasley is the most handsome when he's smiling."

He smiled, just like I knew he would, and shot me a look before turning his eyes back to the customer. "How is it that you always know what to say?"

"I didn't know you were dating anyone," I said after a while, biting the inside of my cheek after I'd said it.

"I'm not," he said without any thought.

My eyebrows furrowed in confusion and I regarded him curiously, "But you just told Bill that you were dating? And from the sounds of it, your mother thinks you've been dating for a while?"

"That's because I've been telling mum that I have a girlfriend." He looked away from the customer for a moment to roll his eyes, "This way I don't need to put up with her horrendous matchmaking attempts."

"Well what are you going to do now? Your mother's expecting you to bring your girlfriend to your next family meal?"

"Godric knows," he sighed once the line of customers came to an end, "I've gotten myself into a right mess."

"And that is why honesty is the best policy."

"Is it?" he drawled, turning his eyes onto mine.

"No way," I said instantly, recognising the look in his eyes. "Don't even think about it."

Snagging one of the boxes that were lying beside the counter, I made myself busy to avoid his pleading eyes. Merlin, he knew just as well as I did that, one look into those eyes and I would do whatever he wanted me to. It was how he'd convinced me to keep working here.

"Oh, come on," he pleaded, trailing after me as I walked between the rows of shelves, restocking them as I went, "I'll even give you a raise."

"George -"

He cut in front of me, halting my progress, "A raise and this weekend off."

"You must really hate your mother's matchmaking," I muttered, eyeing him closely. "The shop's closed on Sundays anyway so really you're only giving me Saturday off."