He glared at his son until Jack was forced to look away, embarrassed by his wretched need to blink. John gave a quick wave with his large hand, dismissing Jack from the table. As he rose to leave, Jack was crushed by the realization that while his father considered himself to be a great man, in his father’s eyes the best Jack could ever hope to be was useful.

In January 1942, a new theater opened in West Seattle. The gala opening of the Admiral Theater was a grand affair and was attended by most everyone in the area. In a photograph printed in the Seattle Post-Intelligencer, a large crowd of movie patrons gathered below the brightly lit marquee and the words Seattle’s Finest Theater glowing in iridescent script. At one edge of the crowd stood a girl and a boy of about the same height, the boy’s hand resting affectionately on the square of the girl’s back.

Viviane stood on her tiptoes to get a better look at the people around her. It looked to her like almost everyone from the neighborhood had decided to come: there was Ignatius Lux, one of Viviane’s and Jack’s favorite teachers at the high school, and Mr. Lux’s bride-to-be, Estelle Margolis. There were the old Moss sisters. There were Constance Quakenbush and Delilah Zimmer, whose brother Wallace —​ ​as well as Mart Flannery and Dinky Fields —​ ​had dropped out of school and joined the navy the moment they turned eighteen. It seemed the war was under everyone’s skin. Viviane reached over and laced her fingers through Jack’s, happy that it hadn’t yet reached them.

When the doors to the theater finally opened, Viviane and Jack quickly made their way inside —​ ​marveling at the walls splashed with oceanic scenes and the usherettes and doormen dressed in nautical uniforms. Jack examined the innovative push​-back seats, throwing Viviane an occasional Can you believe these? look, to which Viviane smiled back. Jack had an eye for things new and shiny. Viviane took off her coat and shoved it into the seat behind her. The theater smelled like fresh paint and new carpeting, like expectation and hope. Viviane leaned her head back and breathed deeply, taking in all at once the wet, salty smell of the theater popcorn, the heavy musk of perfume, the sharp spice of cologne. And the light scent of soap and Turtle Wax — ​Jack.

To say Viviane had a keen sense of smell was an understatement. She could detect what people had eaten for dinner from a mere whiff of their breath. Not even the strongest toothpaste could hide the sharp tang left by onions and garlic, the buttery aroma of chicken noodle soup. The smell of unwashed hair was unbearable to Viviane, as were infected wounds and cooked meat. But her strange talent went even further. She could tell when a woman was pregnant —​ ​even before the woman herself might know — ​just from the way she smelled: a combination of brown sugar and Stargazer lilies. Happiness had a pungent scent, like the sourest lime or lemon. Broken hearts smelled surprisingly sweet. Sadness filled the air with a salty, sea-​like redolence; death smelled like sadness. People carried their own distinct personal fragrances. Which was how she could tell when Jack was near, and how she knew that the two conspiring heads in front of her belonged to best friends Constance Quakenbush and Delilah Zimmer. They were classmates of Viviane’s and Jack’s. As if on cue, the two girls tossed a synchronized glance at Viviane, then went back to another round of furtive whispering.

Viviane shifted in her seat, trying not to overhear what they must be saying. Why would she even want to, for that matter? It was obvious to everyone that Constance had her eye on Jack and wasn’t about to let anything get in her way. Even, or perhaps especially, Viviane. For the most part, Viviane wasn’t concerned —​ ​after all, beneath the fumes of her excessive perfume, Constance smelled like sour milk and cat urine —​ ​but she wouldn’t be concerned at all if Constance wasn’t so goddamn pretty.

At seventeen and a half, Jack was a good​-looking young man with an angular jawline, thick, unruly eyebrows, and a lock of wavy dark hair that fell in his eyes due to a favorably situated cowlick.