3|Confided

"Granger? Are you alright?"

     Without looking up, Hermione answered her coworker, Draco Malfoy, who was looking at her, a bit concerned.

     "I'm fine," she said simply. Draco raised an eyebrow, unconvinced and unimpressed, which she somehow knew he did even though she wasn't looking at him. "Really, I am."

     "Alright," said Draco, still staring at Hermione. The witch kept at her work. Draco waited a few moments. "Are you sure?" Hermione looked up again, not bothering to turn her gaze towards him, just staring at the opposite wall.

     "Positive."

     "If you say so." Another few seconds. "Are you absolutely su--"

     "Yes, Draco." Hermione finally looked up at him. "Now let me work." Hermione began filling out a few forms. Draco smirked, waiting to see if she would notice her slip-up. When she didn't, he pointed it out for her.

     "You called me Draco." Hermione glanced up at him.

     "No. I called you Malfoy."

     "You called me Draco."

     "No, I didn't."

     "You know, that's the third time this week you've called me Draco instead of Malfoy. If I didn't know any better, I'd think I was starting to grow on you."

     "We've been friends since eighth year, Malfoy. I dare say you've already grown on me."

     "We didn't become friends until we both began working here. At school, we just stopped hating each other."

     "Speaking of working here, shouldn't you be doing... oh, I don't know, work, maybe?" Draco raised his eyebrow at her again.

     "Something's got you in a bad mood, today, Granger." It wasn't a question, simply an observation.

     "Whatever," said Hermione through gritted teeth.

     "So, what's got you down?"

     "Nothing. I'm fine."

     "You're most definitely not fine."

     "Oh? And what makes you say that?"

     "You tore a hole in your parchment a few minutes ago and you still haven't noticed. You've been writing on your desk."

     Hermione looked down, surprised. She quickly grabbed her wand and muttered, "Scourgify." She sighed, and put her head on her hands. "I'm having a bad week," she muttered.

     "Do tell," said Draco.

     "Why do you care?"

     "I finished my paperwork half an hour ago and I'm bored out of my mind. I need something to relieve me of this pain." Hermione rolled her eyes at his dramatics, and then looked up.

     "Well, if you really care, Ron and I broke up."

     "Really?" said Draco, raising his eyebrow, yet again. Hermione briefly wondered how he did that. She had to raise both of hers at the same time.

     "Yeah. I caught him cheating on me with Lavender Brown. We had a fight, he called me ugly and boring, I called him lazy and a charity case, I told him that we were through, and then kicked him out of the house. All on our one-year anniversary," added Hermione with a sigh.

     "Wow. Exciting day." Hermione glared at the amusement in his voice.

     "Aren't you supposed to show sympathy and then give me some big psychological advice to help me along my way?"

     "Sorry, I was just busy thinking that the weasel is even more idiotic these days than he used to be, cheating on a girl like you."

     "Really?" asked Hermione softly, not having wanted to appear vulnerable in front of Draco, but not fully being able to help it, either.

     "Really. Hermione, you are the opposite of boring and ugly, you're interesting and beautiful and a dedicated worker and a great friend. Don't let a weasel make you think differently."

     "Thanks," said Hermione. Then she smiled. "Hey, Malfoy?"

     "What?"

     "You called me Hermione."

     "No, I called you Granger."

     "You called me Hermione."

     "No, I didn't."

     "That's the fifth time this week you've called me Hermione instead of Granger. Honestly, if I didn't know any better, I'd think I was starting to grow on you."

     "Shut up, Granger."

_______________________________
DISCLAIMER: Everything belongs to J.K. Rowling.