She was so pretty.

She was smiling as she came up the hill, and whistled to Nita, who went bounding. She jumped on her, knocking her down and making her laugh. "Hey, girl!"

"Nita, down!" said Phoenix, grabbing her collar and dragging her off her. Ebony was laughing, lying there with her hair around her like an aura of beauty. Her eyes were sparkling. She looked wonderful.

"Sorry, she gets excited quickly," he explained, letting her sit. "Nita, stay. Stay."

She tucked her hair behind her ear, revealing her scar once more. She smiled at him, standing up. "Hey."

"Hi," he said. He suddenly felt shy, his hand moving up to the back of his head. "You look... amazing."

And she did. She was wearing a loose shirt and leggings, and she looked beautiful in them. She smiled, thanking him, before sitting down. He sat down beside her.

"Well, wanna talk about last night?"

"Yeah. That'd be good."

She chuckled, then looked at him. "Well? What are you thinking?"

I'm thinking about kissing you again. "I dunno. It's your choice."

She took his hand, and they sat at the base of the tree. Phoenix gave Nita a toy, and she lay there beside them, chewing furiously. "Last night was really... amazing. I don't think I've been that happy before."

"Me neither." She looked at him. "I really like you, Nick."

"I really like you, too," said Phoenix. "As more than a friend, maybe."

She smiled, and he leaned down, kissing her. This felt new, but it also felt like he had done this a million times before. She was a good kisser. It was then that Phoenix decided he liked caramel, after all. "What do you think?" she asked again.

"I think we should go on a few more dates," said Phoenix. "But I really like the idea of being with you. I think you're... you're wonderful."

"I think that can be arranged," she said, a small smile on her face.

He smiled too, and kissed her cheek very softly. "I'd like that. Let's go out again. What should we do?"

"Well, they opened a new skate rink out toward the East, Callum was telling me about it."

"Callum's your foster dad, right?"

"Yeah," she said. "I can't believe you remembered something like that, that's amazing."

"I remember everything you've told me. You're so interesting to talk to."

She blushed, and he wrapped an arm around her shoulders, looking out at the park. He could remember still being here, back when Ryan was still in London. Being alone, watching Elle and Robin by himself. Now he had Ebony. She smiled up at him and leaned in, kissing him. "Thank you."

"For?"

"Helping me believe that the world isn't as bad as it seems."

<><><><><><><><>

Elle heard her door open behind her, and heard Drew whisper, "Ellie?"

She didn't respond, and he sighed. She felt the bed sink beside her under his weight, felt his fingers through her hair, and she couldn't help but jerk away. "Shit, did I wake you up?"

"No, I was... I dunno. Half awake, half not," she lied, sitting up. "Hey."

"Hi," he said gently. "How are you feeling?"