Chapter Four: From the Airport to Forks

I rolled my eyes at Alice's reminder of the Porsche, just for her benefit. Then I focused a withering glare at Rosalie as Emmett opened the back door for me so I could lift Bella inside the Mercedes. I carefully placed her in the middle of the backseat and buckled her in as her head lolled; she was very nearly asleep already.

I took the seat behind Emmett, closing the door quietly then gathering Bella's mostly limp body against mine, adjusting her so that she would be comfortable for the several hours' drive ahead of us. Although knowing how my family drove, we'd probably cut the four-hour drive in half. Easily.

As Emmett started the car, Bella's eyes drooped closed at long last, and I almost asked Emmett if he wouldn't mind keeping within the speed limit so that Bella could sleep as long as possible. But I also wanted her to be in the comfort of her own bed, not trying to get comfortable in the backseat of a car. Plus, I wasn't looking forward to two hours in close quarters with Rosalie, much less four.

So I sighed quietly and said nothing.

As soon as we were free of the parking garage and Emmett was following the Volvo down the freeway toward the Olympic Peninsula, Rosalie half-turned in the passenger seat to face me.

“Edward,” she began aloud.

“I know,” I cut Rosalie off rudely. Her thoughts were definitely penitent now, but she had been a cold-hearted bitch to call me up to inform me of Bella's death just so I could come home and return our family to the way she liked it—to the way it was before Bella had touched our lives.

After all, this fragile human girl had unconsciously wended her way into every one of our family member's affections...everyone except for Rosalie. Carlisle and Esme looked upon Bella as a beloved daughter, all the more loved for her frail humanity; she needed their loving care far more than the rest of us combined, and they worried over her with the same depth of devotion as I often noted in human parents.

In fact, I caught my parents' thoughts in the car directly ahead, and they were murmuring about both of us in the back seat of the Volvo, slightly concerned about me and my thirst but far more worried by Bella's obvious ill-health. Esme spoke of her pale and thin face and her absolute exhaustion while Carlisle assured his wife that Bella just needed some sleep and some special care to restore her to good health. But beneath his reassurances, Carlisle was extremely anxious regarding Bella's condition.

Emmett looked upon Bella as the little sister, loving her in the same way he had adored the younger sister whom he had lost all those years ago, and Jasper viewed Bella in virtually the same little-sisterly manner....

Wrapped in their own love-bubble, Alice and Jasper were nearly ignorant of the high anxiety emanating from Carlisle and Esme in the back seat as Alice drove, Jasper's hand firmly clasped in hers. They had no thought for anyone but themselves...and Jasper's amorous plans for his mate's “welcome home” celebration....

I sighed, looking down at Bella and worrying anew, thanks to Carlisle's and Esme's quiet conversation. What if Bella were truly ill? What if we couldn't turn around the progression of her extremely fragile state?

I was distracted by Emmett's thoughts; he glanced at me in the rearview mirror, trying to catch my attention from my concern over Bella.

Once he realized that I was listening to him, Emmett started pleading with me.

Great.

But I gave my brother the benefit of the doubt...something I wasn't willing to extend to Rosalie yet.

If ever.

Reluctantly I opened my mind to Emmett's.

Man, I get that you're pissed, dude. Rose was out of line. But she really is sorry for how she hurt you, for what almost happened as a result of her calling you. She's been absolutely frantic since you went all Romeo on our asses. Rose feels like shit, Bro. So could you please cut her some slack? Just think about it, okay?