Chapter 1- Hospitality

"Welcome home, Alex." The words sprang on me too quickly. This wasn't home to me, this was just another complication that I had to get through. I knew just before I either got attached to this house or hated it so much that I'd rather die, that this new "home" would be nothing but a memory.

I stare at my new foster mother. Her cherry red lips are pressed into a tight line and her long dark hair frames the outside of her face. If her skin was dark she may have looked pretty, only it was a ghostly pale color, causing her hair and skin to clash. To make matters worse, she wears real tight, perky clothes. If I didn't know any better I would think of her as scary.

"Thank you." I reply, in a low voice.

"We hope that you will enjoy your time here." My new foster father, Joseph, tells me. His voice is in a monotone; he seems just as eerie as his wife. His skin was just as pale, but instead of dark hair, it was orange. Not like a brownish orange, but almost carrot orange.

I put on my best fake smile. Throughout the many years of practice, it comes easy to me now and most actually believe that I'm happy.

I nod my head at him. "I'm sure I will."

I knew their eyes were looking me up and down; examining my very scroungy clothing and my imperfect make-up. I knew their type and they knew mine. I could see tension in the near future.

My new foster mother, Kenya, claps her hands together. "Well, come in, come in, and meet your new siblings."

It seems like Kenya disapproves of me already, but Joseph held a warm smile which starts to reassure me that she was always like this. Joseph's smile was the only reason why I push myself inside.

The door opens wider, which was a tall oak door; only a small fraction of the huge brick house they lived in. It seemed like I was walking into luxury just outside, but after I met the parents I knew that dream had long disappeared.

The inside was neat and very clean. Glamorous knick-knacks were all along the walls and a two way stair case held the center of the living room. The carpet was fresh and clean, and a strange bluish color. And I could tell that lavender was their main scent.

I see two younger kids in front of me.

I was informed that I had 3 foster siblings. The youngest, Mia, who was supposedly seven and the only biological child. The middle-aged one, Brad, who was 14 and has been here since he was three. And Liam, the oldest who was 17. I didn't know much of him.

But as it seems, Mia and Brad were the only ones in front of me. Mia, with her black hair and eyes looked too similar to her mother. She already gave me a bad feeling. And Brad with the "Justin Bieber" styled hair, didn't even acknowledge that I was there because he was so focused onto his video game.

"Mia. Brad." Kenya snapped. "Where is Liam?"

Brad, who had headphones on, didn't hear her. So instead Mia answers, "He's getting dressed. He said he would be down in a minute."

Kenya's eyes narrow on her and Brad. She was like a snake waiting to attack.

"Well then." Kenya's voice looses most of it's annoyance, but now seems more pushy. "Introduce yourself, Mia."

There wasn't any arguing but I saw some sort of pique or displeasure in Mia’s eyes. She wasn't happy about this...

"Hello... Alexandra. I am Mia. Your foster sibling." She takes a deep breath and looks up at her mother. Resentment still fills her eyes. "Was that nice enough, mother?"

At the age seven I really doubted her to have attitude. I suspected she would be happy about her new foster sibling, but now that I thought about it she was the only girl child protected by her big brothers; until me.

"Mia!" Kenya gasps. It was just loud enough for Brad to hear and see me.

Mia shrugs off her mother's disappointment and strides off, like she owned the place. That left me to believe one thing... She was spoiled.

Instead of disciplining her, Kenya turns to Brad. She motions with her head to introduce himself to me. I could feel his eyes on me even though I wasn't facing his direction. I had to admit, I didn't like it.

"Hey, hot stuff." Brad's voice comes out high, like a boy going through puberty. "Is your daddy a baker? Because you've got some hot buns."

Kenya's mouth gapes open and I notice how bright red her face flushes. I turn my head away from her, and try to pretend like Brad’s comment didn’t offend me. How old was this boy? 14?

"Bradley James!" Kenya shouts, her voice strains with irritation. She turns to Joseph and points directly at Bradley. "Control him! Take him away before I do something I regret!"

And Joseph obeys like the puppy dog he is, taking Brad by the arm and tugging him upstairs.

Kenya's lips purse together. "I'm sorry, about him. He's just something you'll get used to."

I couldn't help but notice that she had actually felt sympathetic to me. Judging by her type, that was a hard thing to hear from her.

"It's fine." I tell her, but in truth I feel a bit uncomfortable about the whole situation.

Her arms cross around her chest and her foot taps at a brisk beat. Impatience has already filled within her, and I wouldn't be able to tell you why that made me giddy.

"Well, I'm sure you'll be happy that you're not the only older teenager." She sighs, before preparing herself to yell, "Liam, get down here now!"

She pauses and glances down at me. She wants me to talk; make conversation, maybe? But I don’t, not because I knew that would make it more awkward, but because I don’t want to say the wrong thing to her. And yes, I know that won’t be avoidable forever.

Her lips struggle into a smile. “I wonder what’s taking him so long?”

I shrug, remembering to keep my fake smile plastered onto my face. “I don’t know.”

Dissatisfied with my response, Kenya turns her head and stares up the stairway. I hope she’s not alway going to be this stiff. I’d like to enjoy my last years as a child.

“Where is that boy?” She sighs a bit too dramatically. “Liam! I don’t care what you are doing, get down here right now!”

Only a couple seconds go by before I hear a door slam followed by footsteps. Kenya turns to smile at me, but it was so brief I wasn’t sure if she actually did.

“Alright, I’m coming.” A male’s voice hesitantly responds, before I see his body rounding around the corner. He seems normal, just like any other teenager with bronzed hair and eyes. The only thing that wasn’t normal about him… was that he was only in boxers. “But since you were being so demanding, I didn’t have time to put on clothes.”

He begins walking down the stairs, showing off his perfectly toned body. I can't help but notice the birthmark on the right of his neck.

“Excuse me?” Kenya inquires, throwing her hands up in the air. I wasn’t sure but I’m pretty sure I heard her mutter, “They are so going to pay for this.”

Liam ignores her completely and scampers up to me. His face is full of smiles, and I can tell that he enjoys seeing Kenya in distress.

“Liam Payne if you-”

“-Hello, Alex.” He interrupts and reaches down to shake my hand. “I’m Liam.”