Chapter 20 - Fire

Start from the beginning

"Speak for yourself," Marks grunted, trying to rip his arm from his grasp. That just made Rylin righten her grasp, making him grimace in pain. "Actually, ya'll go ahead," he muttered, but you could see the anger creeping across his face.

"Looks like you're with me, Shi," Ben said, slinging an arm around my shoulder. Before I could see either of my friends faces Ben forced me to turn around, waking me in the direction of the four wheelers. I expected him to more his arm but he left it there, dangling off of my shoulder. When we were a good distance away, he finally said, "I don't like the way Marks looks at you."

"What are you talking about?" I asked, wrinkling my eyebrows as I looked up at him. "Me and Marks are friends." Strictly friends. Sure, maybe he made me feel something in my chest, but it wasn't anything compared to what Ben made me feel. For example, having his arm around my shoulders made the craziest butterflies fly around in my stomach. It almost felt like I would throw up.

"Try telling him that," he muttered, grinding his teeth together. Even angry, his face was a work of art. From that angle, looking up at him, I could see every perfectly chiseled angle of his physique. The color of his eyes almost took my breath away. As we walked I leaned in to him, breathing in his sent. Oh god, I was in trouble. I couldn't even worry about Marks I was so distracted.

When we reached the shed Ben let me go, pulling the doors open. I took the s'mores supplies as he started the four wheeler, revving the engine. I'm pretty sure he only revved it for flair to get under Marks' skin, who was still watching us from the porch. "Put the stuff in here," Ben told me, opening the compartment on the back of the vehicle. I dropped the supplies inside and swung myself on the back of the four wheeler, wrapping my arms around Ben's waist. Without hesitation he grabbed my wrists and pulled me closer so that my whole body was pressed against his, making me suck in a breath.

In a split second we were off, wind whipping at my face. It burned my eyes so I pressed my cheek against his back and closed them. It was probably a five minute ride out to the lake, but it felt like seconds. Before I knew it we were coming to a stop and it was time to let go of Benjamin. Reluctantly, I released my tight grip and slid off of the four wheeler.

"So what's the plan?" I asked. He glanced at me over his shoulder, shaking his head. Just that glint in his eyes made my stomach clinch. Why was I so obsessed with Benjamin Miller? What was it about him that I just couldn't resist? It was infuriating, but at the same time oddly comforting.

"We're going to start a fire?" He laughed, a hint of amusement in his voice. His back was still turned to me, but even without seeing his face I knew he was wrinkling his nose. It was that face they made when he looked at someone as if they were an idiot.

"I meant other than make s'mores, dumb ass," I scoffed, trying to save what was left of my pride. As soon as the question had left my mouth I had known he would make fun of me. It was, to be fair, a stupid question. I just never really knew quite what to say around him. We were just getting out of the hating each other stage, it still felt foreign and, honestly, kinda awkward.

"I guess we'll find out," he said. I watched as he sauntered over to the pile of wood set slightly away from the fire pit. He picked up a few logs and tossed them into the hole before looking at me, raising an eyebrow. "Are you going to help me?"

"Sir, yes sir," I said, sarcastically saluting him. The only reply I got was a roll of his eyes and something mumbled incoherently under his breath. If I had to guess, he was calling me some not so nice names.

In Alaska, I had become a pro fire-lighter. The trick was to have something to use as an excellent, something that burned easier and faster than wood. Spinning on my heels, I opened the bucket on the back of the four wheeler and scooped out the old newspaper. We kept it in there just for instances like this, all ready to go. As Ben threw in the wood I crumpled up and tossed in the paper. Ben sprinkled on a little accelerant and threw in a match, also kept in the handy-dandy box, and tossed it it. The flames roared to life, sparking dangerously high before calming to a decent fire.