Untitled Part 1

Lieutenant Vance stepped from his office into the squad room. He was assailed with all of the scents and sounds of a working police station. Inhaling deeply, he smiled. This was his office, his squad.

Winding his way between the desks, Vance approached a young patrolman who was busy typing at his keyboard. "Hanson, who we got in the box?"

The kid looked over his shoulder. "Meet Jimmy 'Pockets' Culligan. He beat up a citizen last night who happened to be a witness for the DA in an open trial. They want to know if it was just a bar fight or a case of jury tampering."

"Who does he work for?"

"Don't know that yet but he hangs out at the the SSC."

The Southside Social Club was one of those places that was always a thorn in the side of law enforcement. They were there on almost a daily basis but could never get enough to shut it down. It was run by a mug named Morelli.

Hanson continued "The DA would like a resolution to this. He's in front of the judge right now trying to explain how his star witness ended up unconscious in the hospital the night before he was going to testify."

"This all Jimmy's stuff?" Vance waved his hand over an array of junk that covered the patrolman's desk.

Yeah, they don't call him "Pockets" for nuttin. Everything has been photographed.

Vance poked through the stuff and looked more closely at a receipt. "Didn't you guys roll on a robbery/homicide earlier this week at a QuikStop on Madison?"

"Yeah. Got the folder right here."

Vance flipped through the folder and got up. "Get the camera rolling." He entered the box.

"Hi Jimmy. I am Lieutenant Vance. Let's talk about this murder charge"

"Whoa! Murder? You got it wrong, Lieutenant. I'm just in here on a simple assault."

"I'm not worried about the assault. We are already talking to your boss about that. Looks like he is gonna go away for quite a while. I hope you got paid in advance."

"Yeah, I got the cash up front."

"Jimmy, I got you on tape for the murder of that QuikStop clerk on Tuesday."

"No. That's wrong Lieutenant. I didn't do that. I just bought a soda and left." Jimmy was sweating now.

"Jimmy, you were the lookout. You signaled it was all clear when you left. Your bud robbed the place and shot the guy. You are just as guilty as he is."

"I didn't know. Honest. I didn't know Ricky was gonna shoot that kid. Ya gotta believe me."

Vance tossed a pad on the table. Write it all down. I'll see if I can get you a deal. Don't forget to include the bar fight. I need it all."

Vance dropped the confession on Hanson's desk. "Call the DA and confirm it was jury tampering then get warrants and pick up Morelli and Ricky Shoats. Be careful with Ricky. He looked back through the window at Jimmy and shook his head. "Keeping that receipt...what an idiot."