Ramadan

As we embark into the month of Ramadan, I wanted to share ways to increase your good deeds, as this is one of the most blessed months presented to us.

1. Read your Salah on time. I know this is quite difficult but in this month where all our good deeds are being multiplied, we should take advantage of this.

2. Read Quran.

3. Read Quran w/ meaning because many of us don't know what we are reading. Mind you, reading in Arabic is great but why not also KNOW what you are reading and actually be able to implement it (if you don't understand Arabic).

4. Talk less. Often times, we go on for hours; just wasting our own time and piling up our sins by gossiping, and backbiting. Instead, be more quiet, and if you do talk, try to mention Allah (swt) whenever you can.

5. Dress modestly. If you don't already wear the Hijab, this is the perfect time to start and get used to it--you know since Shaytan (Satan) isn't around. And if you do wear the Hijab, Ramadan is a good time to give up on those skinny jeans and tight clothes, and start the Abaya and maxi skirts since the women of hell fire will be those who were dressed yet naked in the world (you know exactly what I mean). If you already wear the Abaya, Ramadan is the best time to start the Niqab. The Niqab is the highest form of modesty, and In Sha Allah, we will all get there.

6. Memorize Juz (Saparah) 30.

7. Do Dhikr. Say: Subhanallah. Alhamdullilah. Allahu Akbar. Astagfirullah.

8. Read Hadith. Whether it is buying an Authentic Hadith book, or reading some Authentic Hadith online, Ramadan is a good time to learn about Prophet Muhammad (PBUH)'s lifestyle, and implement it wherever and whenever we can in our own lives.

9. Don't overdo it in Iftar. I mean I know you have just went the whole day without eating or drinking anything. But that plate filled samosas, burgers, and fruit chat is not necessary. Open your fast with water and date(s). Then read Maghrib Salah. Then eat some food. Remember to eat healthy and not be stuffed after you finish eating as this leads you to be unproductive afterwards.

10. Take small naps. If throughout the day, you feel tired or feel your fast getting to you, take a nap. But don't sleep the whole day just so you don't have to feel your fast. Ramadan is time to gain rewards and Barakah from Allah (swt) and how do you plan on doing that if you sleep from Fajr to Maghrib?

11. Break a habit. We all have sinned over the course of the year. You yourselves know what sins you have been doing, and which ones have formed into a habit. Ramadan is a perfect time to stop the habit of many sins that you are aware of. With Shaytan (Satan) locked up, we have to pray to Allah (swt) to guide us on the correct path, and not of the disbelievers or those who deserved Allah (swt)'s anger (Surah Fatiha-Ayah 6-7).

12. Read Taraweeh. I know that it isn't mandatory but why not gain the extra rewards just for the sake of pleasing Allah (swt). Anyways, we all know that the time is better spend pleasing Allah (swt) and reading Taraweeh than indulging in the worldly life.

13. Give Zakat (charity). In a month where our good deeds are multiplied exponentially practically, we should try giving some Zakat everyday. On top of it, we should give money also on the odd number nights on the last 10 days of Ramadan since the night of Laylatul Qadr can fall upon any of these days.

The night of Decree (Laylatul Qadr) is better 1000 months combined (Quran 97:3). So please brothers and sisters, let's spend the last 10 odd even nights in worship and asking Allah (swt) to help us gain the Akhirah, and to forgive us of any sins that we have accumulated over the years.

Also read this Dua in the last 10 nights of Ramadan continuously:

اَللَّهُمَّ اِنَّكَ عَفُوٌّ ، تُحِبُّ الْعَفْوَ فَاعْفُ عَنِّي (Allahumma innaka 'afuwwun, tuhibbul-'afwa, fa'fu 'anni)

"O Allah, You are Most Forgiving, and You love forgiveness; so forgive me"

14. Give up on foul language. Now I know that this is a hard thing for many of us, but swearing isn't a light deed, and it ruins our character and Haya, so please brothers and sisters, give up on foul language and learn to control your Nafs.

15. Read Duas.

***

Okay so that's the list of 15 things that you should do in the month of Ramadan. There obviously are many many more but these are ones that I could think of. If you know of other things that you could also do, then please comment it down below. Any who, Ramadan Mubarrak!