06 | when lolita fell

Start from the beginning

"Not anymore." Frank muttered.

"She thinks so. But you can't really stop being friends with someone who was like your sister." Talia said. For a moment, Frank felt sorry for her.

He didn't say anything to keep the conversation going.

Talia sighed. "Who do you think called the sheriff, big boy?"

Frank blinked. "That was you."

"Yeah. Troy told me about Lana's plan." Talia's voice was softer now. "I couldn't do anything last time. So."

Frank didn't really know what to say.

On one hand, Talia was the one who sunk Lolita. Drowned her, more like - and that was according to rumors. On the other hand, she'd had a spark of kindness when they were nearly hypothermic in the cold. Frank couldn't exactly hate her.

"It's the least you could do." Frank said. He didn't want to say it, but he did.

"Oh, fuck you." Talia said, stopping. "She stopped being my friend, not the other way around."

"Yeah." Frank said. "Look, I don't know you, but I'm guessing cleaning up your messes after you got a little tiring."

Talia's eyes widened. "The last time I help the likes of her."

Frank laughed. "Yeah, Talia. Lolita doesn't need any more of your help."

And then, the most surprising thing happened. Instead of lashing out, Talia's eyes softened, and she nodded at him. She smiled. And then, she left.

---

Frank knocked once. Twice.

Not on his door. On Lolita's.

The sheriff opened. When he saw Frank, he pursed his lips. "Can I help you?"

"Lolita wasn't here today." Frank said. "I was wondering if she was okay?"

"None of your business." The sheriff shut the door on his face.

When Frank got inside his house, his mother smiled at him sympathetically, folding her newspaper and putting it on the table.

"None of my business." Frank said.

"Ouch." His mother said. Sometimes she acted like Cora more than his mother.

"I'm tired." Frank said.

"Frank."

"What?"

"You really like this girl, don't you?" His mother said.

"Mama, I'm not really in the mood for your soap opera."

"Frank!" she sounded hurt. "That was completely uncalled for."

He stared at her. "Mama."

"I just want to talk to you, son." She said, smiling hopefully.

Frank sighed. "About?" Although he knew already.

"Lo-lee-tah." She said.

She patted on the spot beside her on the couch, and he breathed out, sitting down.

"So." His mother said, after a long minute of silence. "Tell me about her."

"Mama."

"Come on, kid."

What could Frank say about Lolita?

"She's strong." He said.

"A cute looking girl." Frank's mother nodded.