Part 12

Sabrina pressed her forehead to the cool floor beneath her, bowing over her folded legs and hugging herself. Her parents were gone! Dead! Murdered by the monster that shoved her in this dank, dark room. Her heart bled for the loss of her beloved parents and her mind was tugged between rehashing the horrible images of death and wondering why she'd been brought to this place.

After murdering her mother, the man, Khyan, she'd overheard someone call him, lifted her up like she weighed nothing at all and shoved her into an SUV. They'd arrived at a small local airport and had flown a few hours south and landed in the middle of the desert. The sun had beat down on her as he at first dragged, then carried her, into a large house in the middle of nowhere where he'd dumped her into a spacious bedroom and locked the door before leaving. Sabrina had collapsed onto the floor, sobbing and screaming, and hadn't moved, except to bang her hands on the hard tile floor. They were bruised now and she'd cut herself on a sharp edge of one of the tiles. But she didn't care. The only good thing about the pain in her hands was that it occasionally distracted her from the pain in her heart.

The door suddenly opened and she saw two sets of feet walk in. One pair was clad in sandals, the other in expensive leather shoes. Sabrina waited until they came close and then kicked as hard as she could, hitting the ankles above the sandals. The feet didn't move though, and she was lifted into the air and came face to face with Khyan.

"Haven't you learned that has no effect on me, stupid girl?" he growled into her face.

She spat at him and he backhanded her, making her fall to the floor. She landed hard on one knee and the pain brought tears to her already burning eyes. But she didn't make a sound. She wouldn't give him the pleasure.

"She has spirit," said the man in the leather shoes. Or at least that's who Sabrina assumed spoke. She hadn't heard this voice before and it had a strange effect on her. It was almost soothing and hypnotic at the same time. She didn't like it and glared up at the man.

He was in his early forties, tall, with expertly styled blond hair. He wore a black, button-down shirt and jeans, perfectly groomed with not a hint of lint or wrinkle anywhere. His ice-blue eyes were filled with curiosity, but there was a hardness behind the question that made her think this was a very dangerous man.

"Stand," the man commanded softly.

Sabrina found herself obeying without thinking about it, which made her mad. She tried to stop herself, but couldn't. Alarm bells sounded in her head and she swallowed, fear threatening to overwhelm her grief.

The man reached out and cupped her chin, looking deeply into her eyes. He turned to Khyan and frowned. "Her spirit has already been awakened. What the hell happened?"

Khyan frowned back. "How the fuck should I know?"

The blond man narrowed his eyes and looked back at Sabrina, eyes narrowed in concentration. She wanted to look away, but couldn't. She struggled against his hold, but his long fingers merely tightened on her chin until it felt as if he would break her jaw. Unbidden by her, thoughts of Chase and the kiss between the two of them came to the forefront of her mind and the man frowned. He released her and she limped backward several steps.

He turned back to Khyan. "You should have retrieved her sooner. Now she will be more difficult to break. Her heart is awake."

His words made her smile slightly. Defiance lit a flame in her heart and she lifted her chin and glared at the two men. The blond man gave an icy grin. "I said difficult, not impossible Sabrina. I do enjoy a challenge and you will be my triumph." He arched a brow. "Breaking you will be a pleasure for both me and the men in this house." He stepped closer. "You will be mine to control and use and the journey to that point will be long and painful. For you. Pleasurable for me." He tilted his head. "It will happen, I assure you. How long and how painful is up to you, though." He smiled, eyes lighting with a demented delight. "I've been waiting for this for so long I don't want to wait any longer." He began to unbutton his shirt and Sabrina stepped back.

Khyan was still in the room and Sabrina glanced at him in horror as he began to undress as well. Sabrina remembered what happened to her mother and screamed.