Chapter 2- The English House of Thorne

Heavy rain splattered the country house courtyard as Elizabeth Thorne, the claimant Queen of England, sat at her window; watching the drops slither down her window pane. For the past three weeks, since the death of King John, her family had prepared themselves for the taking of the throne. More correctly, her family had been preparing her for the taking of the throne.

The pouring rain outside soothed Elizabeth. Her mind had been a constant whirlwind with thoughts of her impending future. All her life she had roamed her country home as Princess Elizabeth of Windsor - performing her duties for her county and never once thinking that one day, she would be heiress to an entire country.

A knock on her door removed her from her daydreaming, and in entered her oldest friend and maid, Betty. "My Lady, I'm sorry to disturb" said the maid. Elizabeth smiled a warm smile as a friendly dismissal of her intrusion.

"Not at all Betty, I was simply daydreaming. You were not disturbing. What is the matter?" asked Elizabeth kindly.

"Well, Madam, there's word from our allies in Northampton. It's the Earle's Ma'am... they're advancing towards London. They shall be here in two days at the most" Betty explained, urgency tweaked at her words. Elizabeth's heart began to beat faster. Both fear and excitement coursed through her blood. The House of Earle were on their way.

The last three weeks had prepared her for this news. It was finally time for her to step up and stop hiding in the crowd. She was the Queen of England. This was her throne. No man, especially no man of Earle, would take her throne. Her time was now. It was time to prepare to fight.

At once, Elizabeth sat at her writing desk pulling paper and her quill and ink from its drawer. Quickly she began to scribble a letter to her younger sister, Anne, and turned to Betty.
"Does my Lady Mother know about this, Betty?" she questioned. Betty nodded her head.

"Yes. She told me to find you immediately and tell you. Your uncle, Sir Edwin, is gathering the Thorne army as we speak Miss"  Elizabeth finished writing her letter and wax sealed it, before handing it to Betty.

"Betty, please, take this to the stable boy Eddie and ask him to deliver this to my sister Anne in York. Tell him it is urgent. Go, Betty, now!" Betty scurried out the room and sped down the corridor. Elizabeth turned and sat back down at her desk. Again she began to write another letter, this time neatly and carefully.
My Dearest Love, Arthur,
Since the death of King John my family has been preparing for the taking over of the throne. As you know, the House Earle of Scotland; and one of our oldest and longest rivals threatens to take my throne from me.

Word has it that they have reached Northampton, and their leader and heir Prince Adam is headed for London. My uncle, Sir Edwin, is rallying my army for a
fight against the House of Earle.

For your safety and for my heart, please do not intervene in the course of events that are rooting themselves into the ground of this country. For the sake of our love, please do not try and protect me or my family from this war. It is going to happen and the House of Thorne will succeed. Escape to your relatives in France if you must. If the Earle's knew that you were involved with the Thorne heiress they would have you slaughtered like an animal.

Please, my love, go. Until it is safe and I am upon my throne, leave. Know that I will always think of you, even when times will be dark and the fields of England will be stained red with blood. I love you. Be safe, and be brave.
Forever your dearest,
Elizabeth Thorne

Elizabeth sealed the letter and addressed it to Duke Arthur Vale of Westminster. She placed the letter in the bust of her dress. This was a secret job that required Elizabeth's most trusted... herself. Not even her mother knew of her sordid love affair with the Duke of Westminster. Knowing was dangerous, and with Elizabeth's current situation, any man who could easily seek the throne along side her risked the wrath of the Earle's. Her Arthur was too precious to her.